Day 30 Puttz on ProZinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Terry and Puttz, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry and Puttz

Terry and Puttz Member

Updating Puttz's progress: He is nearing his one-month period on ProZinc after switching from Vetsulin...Like others on this Board, it was a challenge early on to see how it all would work out for him...I am happy to say he is doing great and I wanted to give some feedback on my experience so far with the two insulins.

Vetsulin: 3U BID (uncertain numbers with uncertain quality of insulin the past four months)
    Nadir - 4 hours with a steep drop
    Duration (edited) - ~7 Hours

ProZinc: (about) 3.5 BID
    Nadir - 5-6 Hours
    Duration (edited)- ~10 Hours
    *Appears to be a more gentle insulin, longer-acting vs. steep drop initially (Vetsulin)*

Overall, the two insulins are almost equal in dosage, but the 12/12 effect appears to be more gentle with ProZinc on my SugarKitty. Hope this helps some of the new users of ProZinc. I am pleased so far with the change from Vetsulin.

2. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

So glad things are going well for you. I am glad your dosage is about the same. Keep up the good work you two.

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad you are liking the ProZ Terry! Looks like that is about the same as PZI Vet, though the nadir on PZ seems possibly a little earlier, but since ECID hard to really know.

One little picky thing though :D nadir & peak actually refer to the same thing as I understand it - nadir is when BG is the lowest, peak is when insulin is strongest, so those are different ways of refering to the same point in the cycle. Maybe you mean poop-out instead of peak? Usually that's called duration, but since it's really the end of duration I'm not sure what the correct term is.

4. Terry and Puttz

Terry and Puttz Member

Joanna and Bix...You are soooo correct! I did mean to use duration, and the word Peak came to mind...Hope it is not too confusing for the rest! Thanks!

5. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

No worries Terry I knew what you meant . Glad we all have each other to get through this day by day.

6. GailandMax

GailandMax New Member

Just switched to ProZinc

Hello all. I'm not good at these forums, but wanted to put our name (me and Max my eldrely diabetic) in the hat for info about ProZinc.

My vet said PZI was no longer being made, switched us to Lantus for about 8 mos, now the vet said that is no longer being made and we just started using PROZINC about 5 days ago for Max, my cat. I'm checking him 3x a day, then at 7 days will do a curve. She wants to do a Fructosamine check at 3 weeks (I wonder if that is really necessary, I don' thave the money for it and I do check his numbers at home.) So far his numbers have been about what they were with Lantus. I'm using less (2 units vs. 3 units of Lantus).

Also, my vet said that the effectiveness of ProZinc won't be seen UNTIL 45 DAYS after we have been using it. ANYONE ELSE HEARD THAT?

The vet also said that Prozinc will be effective for AT LEAST 3 MONTHS, whereas the other insulin types stopped working well about 45 days after opening.

Anyway, will try to post any information I have on Max and Prozinc. Thanks everyoone!

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Gail & welcome!!! I have heard that the ProZ can be somewhat variable the 1st 45 days, but I don't think that means that you can't still get good results, more that things may improve further over time.

Lantus being discontinued? Hadn't heard that one, but I don't travel in Lantus circles.

You don't need the Fructosamine IMO if you are hometesting. Hometesting rules! :mrgreen:

I think ProZ may last until the expiration date (?) which would be a lot longer than 3 months, at least that is how the old PZI worked. Others will know & chime in I am sure.

Feel free to start your own (daily if you want) thread, so you can fill us in on Max & how he is doing! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.