Dental update.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Tina and Gracie (GA), Mar 30, 2019.

1. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

Oh, what a night.

So, I ended up taking Gracie to the emergency vet around midnight. She was drooling pretty bad and the Cerenia pill didn’t stay down nor was the Gabapetine. She was vomitting it up. Then she had diarrhea. She just looked helpless and then I felt helpless.

Well, the vet was freaking out because she was a diabetic and not on insulin and insisted her BG be checked before they did anything. AT read 230. Thursday it was 183 and the days prior to that were in the high 100’s, but nothing over 200. February numbers were all under 100. It wasn’t until the second week or so in March that numbers started to increase.
    I told the vet that dental issues can cause a rise in BG. She said it was rare.

Anyway, they said she was dehydrated some and gave her fluids, and some kind of inj for the pain and They wanted to give her a shot of insulin, but I refused. No ketones.

March has been really expensive. Is it April yet?!?

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Did they have a thought of what might be wrong?

3. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Unfortunately, not really. They tried telling me it was because her BG was high, but it really wasn’t super high.

I didn’t leave with a clear answer. Aside from Gracie is in pain and she wasn’t tolerating the Gabapentine and was a little dehydrated.

She’s food protesting still. She has to eat. I offered HC gravy food and she wasn’t having it. Finally caved and gave her dry kibble. UGH. Only 1/4 cup. I’m hoping she eats the LC pate while I’m at work tonight.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Did they give you anything else for pain? Bupe maybe? Did they give her a shot of cerenia? Is she acting nauseated, or did she seem okay with the dry kibble? You have to do what you have to do to make sure she eats, we all get that. Is she not eating due to pain do you think?

5. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Fena is ALWAYS high at the vet - always, like, over 400 on the AlphaTrac 2 which is crap, at home. Outwardly she seems fine but inwardly, it's a nightmare. "She needs insulin!" No...no, she doesn't, see my spreadsheet. "YES SHE DOES!" ...nngh.

Listen to your cat. Pain? Fight for medicine, etc. Listen to your baby 1st, vet 2nd....and squash them to get what you need.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Noah was on transdermal BUPE for long term dental pain. At least he never felt ill because I assume it didn't interfere with his GI tract.
    Candy is right, pain is pain. This issue makes me crazy with both humans and animals. Noah was our little drug addict, so what! The BUPE added three years to his life and he never fell down the stairs.
    Possibly stupid question. If Gracie is diabetic why is she not on insulin?

7. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Not a stupid question. Gracie is in remission . . . for now. She has been for over a year. Every now and then she throws a high number at me, or I'll have to give her HC food to eat and BG jumps up.

The last 3 weeks her numbers haven't been great, but nothing over 200. I really think (hope) that is was due to her teeth. I know I need to update SS. I updated today's BG though. :cat:.

They make Bupe transdermal? You had to go to a compounding pharmacy right? Do you mind if I ask how much that cost? Gracie at one time was on Coedine transdermal. It was NOT cheap, but I didn't care. I think I paid about $75 for a month supply.

8. Tina and Gracie (GA)

They gave me a couple more doses of Bupe, but said they didn't think she would need much more. They gave a cerenia injection. I really don't know if it helped though. She does a lot of sitting and staring at food.

To be honest, I'm really unsure why isn't eating much right now. She started doing this in early March, and I really assumed it was her teeth and thought it would improve.

She didn't go all in with the dry kibble. I only left 1/4 cup and she ate maybe half of it.

9. Noah & me (GA)

This is barely relevant and goes back to the pain thing. Please remember this, it may help you or a loved one some day.
    @Candy&Company seems to be on the same page as me.
    The government and health care system here wants everyone off drugs forever. Anyone ever had a compound fracture and been made to just wait while being "evaluated"? I once had fluid on the brain, excruciating pain, and listed my pain as 10 out of 10 which of course made me a big baby. They know me in the local ER because I stand up for myself without causing a scene. One time I showed the admitting nurse my bucket of Percocets to prove I wasn't after drugs. She got red in the face.
    When something hurts, and dental work always hurts, then what's the problem doctor? Noah always ate, knew who he was and where he was. When we say we speak for the ones that cannot speak for themselves we have to follow through on that promise. Sorry for the near rant, this is something that touches a nerve with me.
    Why didn't they trust you enough to give you a little more just in case? Tina, you seem like a responsible person who doesn't think if one is good then two is better.

Candy&Company likes this.
  10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

How is she today?

11. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Don't be sorry. I could go on a rant about our current healthcare system, or lack there of.
    Fluid on the brain? Whoa! I'm glad you are still here. So scary when our bodies go wonky on us.
    Medical procedures hurt. Infections can hurt. All of us tolerate pain differently. I was getting some dental work done recently and my dentist assumed I wouldn't need to be numbing agent. Uh, hello! I can feel that and no, I can't tough it out.

I really have no idea why they didn't want to give me more. I'm guessing it is because they don't know me? Maybe they'll assume I'll take the meds myself? I work in a Psychiatry hospital. If I wanted the good stuff I'm pretty sure I would have had some by now. Besides, that would be hard to explain during my interview for PA school. Uh, yeah . . . I was giving my cat her pain meds, but then I decided to take it myself.

12. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Hi Janet.
    She is okay today. She is hiding which scares me. She'll come out if I call her long enough, or shake some of her favorite dried salmon treats, but then goes back to her hiding spot.

BG was 121 this morning. I don't have a PMPS tonight due to work, but I'm hoping she ate something. I left out 3 different foods and dry kibble.

13. Noah & me (GA)

Think that was an April Fools thing? Google this, "when doctors believed babies don't feel pain". Some felt that way until the mid 80's and not the 1880's. Maybe a good bleeding or some leeches will help Gracie.
    Noah's transdermal was made by a compounding pharmacy so I needed to order a week ahead. The worst part of his day was having his ears tickled. I've read many times that cats in particular neither get hooked on pain meds nor do they suffer from withdrawal symptoms. They trust you with sharp instruments and then assume you're an idiot, very stupid.
    The transdermal expires quickly. I still have some somewhere so for future reference I'll post the dose. I've been feeling rather depressed lately, can you write prescriptions and/or do you have the key for the room where they keep the good stuff? I'll meet you at the border, dress warm. And please, NO laxatives. I've had one colonoscopy already. I've known two people who thought they could go to work the day prior to a colonoscopy. Good luck with that. :blackeye: :banghead:
    As for Gracie hiding. Don't know how many cats you've had but generally they feel bad/sick and want to be left alone. Don't let her get so far back in a closet or under a bed you cannot pry her out. Obviously you know this, keep an eye on her water and food intake etc.

14. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Actually, you just reminded me that I still have some of the codeine transdermal from about a year ago. I’m sure it is expired, but when I get home tomorrow I’m going to look.

I find many doctors to be idiots. I swear my Psychiatrist is a little manic. One visit he is nice, and cheerful and open to my suggestions and acknowledging I might have some anxiety. Tells me to monitor it and if it gets worse we can figure out what to do. Then the next visit....I tell him I think my anxiety is getting worse and ask for something. His response “ I don’t think you have anxiety”. I didn’t argue....I just rolled with it. He did offer something to take for Anxiery as needed, but it just makes me sleepy, but then said I can’t take more than 2x per week. Sure it works, but it makes me sleepy and counteracts ADHD meds. I’ll pass.

I can administer injections on humans, but I can’t legally write scripts yet.

Speaking of colonoscopy . . . .I’ve actually had one. Salmonella is a pretty nasty. I didn’t get to experience the joy of drinking that nasty stuff. I was already in the hospital at the time and rather . . .empty!

I always attribute hiding to dying. I know I am a little dramatic. She hides, but comes out when I get home. Spends some time with me, eats a little and generally sits with more while I do adult stuff on the phone or computer. Then once she sees me getting ready for work or school is when she vanishes.
    I can reach her and if I call her long enough and shake her food she comes out.

15. Noah & me (GA)

A week ago I looked in my list of people I follow. For me it's nice to see someone's head pop up and know they're here when I log in. So there I sit with all these concussions and a blank look thinking "Tina who?" I don't have to tell you not to take that personally right? Obviously not. I'm the guy with Post-It notes everywhere. Feed cats, first your pants then your shoes.
    Before neurologists figured out I wasn't making it up I was sent to a long list of psychiatrists. Some were way past retirement, some were baffled by my honesty.
    Dr. Especially Creepy in a dirty old house with a filthy bathroom told me the clinical definition of depression is being sad, they're the same thing. Our dog had just died so some days were worse than others. I proposed the theory that tomorrow I won't be quite so sad therefore I won't be depressed and he matter of factly said yes, that's exactly right. Some doctors can recite everything but don't understand how it applies in the real world so yes, he was a blithering idiot.
    I also administer injections! My wife is a vegetarian, we have the same family doctor who knows I'm handy with a syringe. To save the system $150 I give CJ her B12 shots at home which is strictly forbidden. Whatever.
    Cats hiding. Before Jacob had any real symptoms he started sleeping between us which was unusual but not freakish. He was trying to tell us something and it did not end well. Sometimes cats can talk but how can you make sense of that to a vet?
    For the sake of other members we'll skip colonoscopies. I sometimes forget there are other people in the room. :confused:

16. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Random thought: ( I tend to have a lot of these) Have you seen Netflix's " Heal"? It goes a little too deep (for me) but some parts of the documentary were actually interesting, and I believed some of it. Long story short . . . it basically says your mind controls so much of your overall health. Their theory through the documentary was a positive mind heals the body sort of thing. One of the practitioners on there believed that that cancer could be reversed with changing your mindset.

Now, if we could tell ourselves that our felines/ pets would never get sick and heal without meds that would be great. I wish it worked like that. I think optimism definitely plays a role, but I don't believe it is a cure.
    Whoa! I wish my doctor trusted me like that. She gets all antsy when she finds out I've used my estrogen patch more than 2 weeks a month or tapered myself off Metformin. I find it a little funny. I think she has finally accepted that in the end, I'm going to do what I want. I know my body.

B12 shots- I don't get them, but I have friends who do and they said it makes them feel so much better. I want them, but my levels aren't low, so I am skeptical. A few years ago I was Vegan. I fell off that bandwagon a while ago. I still don't eat pork though.

Curious: How many cats do you have now?

17. Noah & me (GA)

Not so much the mind but your mindset if that makes sense. My mom was a hypochondriac but not me. Last surgery I had was day surgery for a simple hernia and the nurses were kind of stunned that I didn't want some juice and a cookie, "My wife is here, I can see our car in the parking lot, let's go". There is a balance between that and my dad denying he had a heart attack so stay positive but be realistic.
    The problem with cats and dogs is they don't pout or make a scene and cats are the worst. Our vet said dogs will make an effort to eat when sick but cats will starve themselves to death if sick enough. Has anyone ever seen a dog crawl in a closet or had to force feed one? Not me.
    Cats hide it too well. We thought Noah's momma Zoe maybe had a 24 hour bug and she died in Cynthia's arms that night with me blasting through red lights on the way to emergency. That's what cardiomyopathy can do, she never had a chance.
    I do have a problem with people like Suzanne Somers going on Oprah yakking about a better diet and not seeing a doctor after you've been diagnosed with stage 3 whatever.
    I'm with you Tina if that was too negative. I know my limits and my body so that's why my doctor didn't yank my driver's license. If I get looped and plow into a school bus that will come back to her.
    Being a vegetarian is hard enough, vegan is asking too much. You can't say all life is sacred and then step on a bug on the way to the farmers market.
    We have five cats and a dog, all either rescued or outright confiscated. That's a story for another day. Our max was nine cats, a dog and a 50 gallon aquarium but then you start giving mortgage payments to the vet. I never knew "forever" would be so expensive!
    And I like your new avatar. It's nice to see someone smile. :) ;) :rolleyes:

Tina and Gracie (GA) likes this.
  18. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Oh my gosh. Do I get a sense that you aren’t a big fan of hospitals? I have a patient who isn’t a hypochondriac, but her mom is. I kind of think she likes the medical attention and sympathy, so maybe there is more to it. Anyway, she comes in all the time with her daughter saying how her daughter has cancer, a brain tumor, an ear infection, MS. You name it. Of course I can’t shew her away. I have to triage her daugher. Then while she waits to be called back she tells the other people waiting that her daughter has said disease.
    Heart attacks can be scary. I can’t say I don’t blame your dad for denying. I’ve been known to deny certain medical/health aspects of my life, but usually come around after I’ve warmed up to the idea.

I just wish our pets could talk to us. Although, Gracie as seen me eat a whole pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream . . .while she was on a diet. I’m sure she would had a lot to say about that.

It makes me happy to know there are still people like you in this world who rescue, or confiscate them.

The problem is you can’t walk into a vet and they treat your pet regardless. If we go to a hospital they have to treat us. I get it. The vet needs to make a living too. It just frustrates me that at times you have to decide between your mortgage payment, or medication/treatment for your pet.
    My friend recently just spent $3k on her hen who died 5 days later. Did I think that was a bit extreme? Yes, but it doesn’t matter. She loved that hen as much as I love Gracie.
    I have a limit on what I can spend on Gracie at any given time. I’m not saying I wouldn’t spend more, but I would have to evaluate the whole situation, look at my finances and her quality of life.

I couldn’t even imagine the cost of having kids!

19. Noah & me (GA)

How do you spend $3k on a chicken? Is there a Mayo clinic I don't know about?
    Pets and money. It can be a hard lesson but love and money are not the same thing. The shame and guilt don't help us much either.

20. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Happy Caturday!

Pearl (the hen) had maggots and needed to be in an oxygen tank. I think she possibly had pneumonia too.
    My cat sitter’s cat just died too. He was eighteen, diabetic, end stage kidney failure and anemia, oh, and he had a heart problem.
    Too many animals deaths lately.

Money and love are definitely not the same thing. When your pet needs treatment and you don’t have the money we typically blame ourselves thinking that means we don’t love them. I would be lying if I said it was easy to dissociate the two, but it isn’t that easy.

Attached Files:

21. Noah & me (GA)

Not just Caturday, April is Pet Appreciation Month.

22. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Ah, I didn't know that. I know April 7th was World Health Day, but only because we celebrated it at.

How is the weather in Canada right now? Anything fun coming up in your life?

I would say mother nature is a bit lost in Central California. One day it is in the upper 70's and upper 60's at night and the next it is low 70's and dropping to the 40's at night.

I still don't know how I am even functioning right now. I've had insomnia for about a week now. I'm not even tired. I go to bed at 10:30pm and up at 6:30am, but between those times I wake up half a dozen times wide awake.
    Eventually my brain will cave and let me sleep.

23. Noah & me (GA)

Not when I know more about my one in a gazillion condition than a nervous intern or I'm being over tested. The system is broken in Canada with it's "free" healthcare. That means any yahoo that whacked his thumb with a hammer shows up in ER on Friday night. There is only your family doctor or ER, no urgent care clinics so we're left with no choice.
    When I broke three fingers at softball the couple in front of me kept muttering "We should have used the Black&Decker". The woman had a sliver and the husband demanded immediate attention.
    The weather... snow is gone, mud everywhere and still chilly. The high winds here trigger migraines so the fun never ends.
    I hope your brain gets better, you're going to need it.

24. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Definitely on the same page. I could add my own experiences to the list and those of previous pets but I'll just leave it at this. To add just one other thing though, and I think Noah would agree - we're not saying there's NOT a limit, be it money, dose, etc. There's always a limit but to help figure it out we have to look to our animals to help us.

If we can do it, and get the vet(s) on board and our pet is totally benefiting (way more pros than cons)? I think we have to try and do it. We don't mean go bankrupt or extend life for our own selfish reasons - we just mean know your pet, your budget, the pros and cons and weighing everything - if you can and it's CLEARLY helping without hurting, go for it.

25. Noah & me (GA)

@Candy&Company Thank you for that. We weren't fooling ourselves with Noah and his BUPE, it was simple compassion to take the pain away.
    Years ago we rescued a 28 pound beast who was unadoptable and he was a real sweetheart but the weight took a terrible toll on him. On a Thursday night before a long weekend he had come to the end of the road. After an embolism and a minor stroke we knew he would either die of heart failure in the next 72 hours, probably in the car because it was 45 minutes to emergency or we could set him free that night. I squeezed my wife's hand and our vet dimmed the lights, then Kobiashi was gone.
    It was just the right thing to do.
    008kobi.JPG

Tina and Gracie (GA) likes this.
  26. Tina and Gracie (GA)

What a nightmare! Emergency rooms are for emergencies. Ugh
    The emergency rooms here are packed. We have urgent care centers though. The one affiliated with my healthcare plan is open 24/7. In fact, you go to the ER and it isn't an emergency they send you to urgent care.

27. Noah & me (GA)

Confession time. It took me a bit to connect Teenuh to Tina R. It's not nice to confuse the elderly.
    After simple day surgery for a hernia I had a slight bump in the lower belly and was urged to go to ER. I begged them to let me go not wanting to drag down the system. Doctor Old Fart probed me and mumbled "emergency surgery" and I questioned him on this, if I had a pierced bowel why wasn't I running a fever? Then I mentioned being handy with a syringe and I've often done some "at home surgery" so I would drain the gooey mass myself.
    The surgeon who did the surgery told me later this is quite common, forget about it. He's the opposite of a pompous doctor; has a tiny office in a building with a broom closer elevator with the brass scissor like door.

28. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Opps! I could always change my screen name to my real name Christina. Although, I'd rather not confuse you again. I can't be held liable.

And I thought I was brave. I have a cabinet full of unused antibiotics, urine test strips , and a whole bunch of other stuff.
    If I suspect I have a UTI, or some kind of nasty infection I'll usually start taking some of my antibiotics or drink an obscene amount of water to flush my system.
    I have never gone as far as you have though. Do you think your doctors are intimidated by you? Doctors try to be sneaky! They charge you for every stinking thing you talk about and charge you per vital. Yes, checking your temperature is one charge, and your blood pressure another , and your pulse and oxygen level. This is a scam. I get it, but if I wanted to check my own temperature or blood pressure I would do it for free in the comfort of my own home. Most of the time I refuse now. I stick my agenda and only my agenda. If she tries to steer the conversation another direction I stop her and inform her that I'm not here to discuss XYZ. I do enjoy my doctor, but once I learned she was documenting every stinking conversation and even if I just lightly touched on a subject it would change my level of a visit and my cost of the visit would go up. Maybe I should have said something to her and explained why I prefer to stick my agenda. Oh well.

I refused an EKG at my last visit. I didn't even know she had ordered it. The MA comes and I was like wait what. One of my medication increases my HR for the first 1-2 hrs it hits my system. It always seems to be increased at the time of my appointment with her too.

29. Noah & me (GA)

My old doctor got so sick of people who either;
    Believed every word Dr. Oz or "Doctor" Phil said and they took it as gospel or
    The commercials that showed happy old people playing with the grandchildren who took the newest med, "Ask your doctor now" so they did.
    Finally she just caved in, "Here's your friggin script, don't call me when diarrhea sets in".
    My neurologist has the best bedside manner. After my one year follow-up she showed me the MRI, put her hand on my shoulder and said "See, it's a part of you now, it's not going anywhere". My family doctor has a patient with a stent in his heart and felt like it was the thing from Alien, he wanted it out now!
    Why not get a good bleeding to get the demons out.

30. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Dr. Phil is a joke and Dr. Oz falls under the same category. Might as well Google your symptoms. Although, I am guilty of that, but I would never admit that to a health care provider.

Rx’s should NOT be allowed to be advertised on TV. Half of the time they fail to even tell you what the medication is for. Does it give me puppies or grandchildren? We have a problem with Big Phamra. This is a conversation for another day.

Somebody call the Priest. Forget the bleeding. A Priest can get the demons out.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  31. Noah & me (GA)

Oh no, by all means let's converse today.
    >Phil graduated in 1975 from Midwestern State University with a B.A. in psychology. McGraw is voluntarily surrendered his Texas license in 2006 and he has never held a license to practice psychology in any other state. His dissertation was titled "Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Psychological Intervention".
    >Oz has run out of things to talk about, now has ongoing "Unsolved crime week"
    >Both somehow got their wives on their shows.
    >Blame Oprah for Phil. Oprah knows all, sees all. Hey look who's on the cover of O this month, it's Oprah! What a pompous self important twit.
    >Oprah's special friend Gayle King somehow got a job on CBS This Morning. I'm sure she did that on her own merits.:rolleyes:
    Canada has some rule about the vagueness of Rx advertising and side effects. "May cause certain cancers, discontinue if eyes turn yellow".
    >Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy :blackeye: Too stupid to tie their own shoes, measles are good for you.
    Should I have my dog vaccinated for Rabies? I'll ask the failed actor who did Pet Detective.

32. Tina and Gracie (GA)

What?!? I didn’t know he surrendered his license. Although, I still can’t figure out why and who would ever want to see him. My assumption is if you want to see him on Tv you want compensation, the publicity or something along those lines. He is a belligerent donkey to put it nicely.
    Phil’s wife has her own skincare line. His son also started the show “The Doctors”. No, I don’t watch it. Ok, I did once, but I don’t have cable either.

Dr. Oz. More like Dr. Fake.

It is always about who you know. In the job world, and real world and any world. Always.

Oh, no the rabies vaccine causes Autism. Using my cell phone causes Cancer. Using plastic contains will probably kill me too. What does this means? It means we should be hermits and do nothing. EVER.
    Yes, I dislike anti-vaxxers.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019