Diabetes and Dermatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bgiff420, Aug 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgiff420

bgiff420 Member

My sugar kitty has been battling dermatitis for a very long time and I can’t seem to get control of it. I’ve taken him to the vet and he just gives him a steroid shot. It clears up for about 2 weeks or a month or so and then comes right back. I’m at a loss. I believe the steroid shot gave him diabetes the back in may. Well I almost had him in remission and his skin issue fared up again and I had to bring him in. They had to give him another shot if steroids and said that was the only cure. Vet said it was an autoimmune skin issue that he will deal with his entire life. Well the next shot has since shot his number up like crazy. He’s been unregulated ever since and I can’t bring it down and I don’t know what to do about his skin. I noticed tonight he’s biting and licking the same area again. Has anyone else dealt with this? Do you know some other treatment or have info on what I should do? Thanks in advance.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes steroid shots will cause diabetes in suseptible cats.
    Have you tried Zyrtec? Give 1/2 of a 10mg tablet (5mg) daily. One of my cats had a skin allergy which used to make her itchy and red on the face, legs and paws. Zyrtec made a massive difference. She had 5 mg Zyrtec daily for a long time then went to 2nd daily then when necessary. She hardly needs them now.

Tomlin likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

You may also try using an infant tshirt. I've even heard of using the ones that cover the hands to keep baby from scratching his face. My friend says this was a game changer for her cat. I'm sure it wont work for every cat, they can be magicians at times. But its worth a shot. and cheap too.
    Hope this helps.
    jeanne

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Could it be triggered by a food allergy? You may want to try changing over to a limited ingredient or single protein food.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

One of my 3 year olds had dermatitis and EGC. I think it’s food intolerances. Have you tried a protein never had before? My girl can’t eat chicken, beef, pork, or turkey now. She was on duck for almost two years which got rid of the EGC but was gaining weight so I switched to rabbit. Right now she’s eating venison and all is good. I ruined rabbit by adding egg yoke to treat hairballs. I’m doing everything to avoid steroids after having a diabetic cat and my vet agrees. If you try a novel protein read the label very carefully as chicken is in many cat food though not on the label and feed only that protein for at least two months. If it works you can try adding back others to see if you find the one but you risk ruining all of them.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s interesting. I was thinking of trying that if the dermatitis comes back although it was never suggested by my vet. ;)

7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with trying a novel protein. I used to have a dog with food allergies and it took trying different foods before I found out what triggered it. I was able to determine that fish products was one of her triggers. It was amazing to discover how many dog foods have fish products in them. Rabbit and venison seemed to work best for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.