Diabetes, distended abdomen and litter box issues! Help!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Eliza-Lou Land, Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eliza-Lou Land

Eliza-Lou Land New Member

Hi there! We are absolutely desperate for anything to help our poor sweet Lou! So quick background.. Lou will be 11 this month and has 1 kitty sister Ellie (turning 9 this month) and 3 human sisters (5, 2, and 2 months). Lou was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 months ago after we noticed he seemed lethargic, ravenous and constantly thirsty. He was started on Vetsulin with minor improvement, then about 6-8ish weeks later had some type of GI upset (we think maybe he ate some food shipped via Amazon that was damaged in transit and arrived with several cans open.. the cans were (stupidly) placed on the kitchen island for several days in order to photograph and return). He had diarrhea for several days and minimal appetite so his vet put him on appetite stimulant and probiotic (stool tests came back fine). Vetsulin never quite got his blood sugar under control so we switched to Lantus after about 8-10 weeks. His sugars are still not under control despite currently receiving 5 units x2/day of Lantus insulin and has started to develop neuropathy in his back legs (more weak and wobbly, walking on heels vs toes). My big concerns recently have been his sudden litter box issues as well as his distended abdomen... he had an abdominal ultrasound which showed his belly distention) was due to gas (not a tumor, thank god) but we’re still having litter box issues... we have 3 boxes for our 2 cats and have never ever had an issue until recently. He frequently misses the litter box when urinating but lately has been peeing and pooping in seemingly random places (peed on my bed twice, peed and pooped in my kids play tent several times, peed and pooped in the middle of the carpet ..) ... Lou is my first baby and I have and will do anything any everything I can for him to live the happiest life possible ... I am just at a loss as to the cause of these issues (uncontrolled diabetes, distended abdomen, and litter box issues) and what to do about it ... has anyone else experienced anything like this?? Anyone have any advise?? Thank you!!

2. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hi Eliza,
    Welcome to the forum. I am afraid I do not have experience with digestive issues, but @Critter Mom might?
    Bumping up your message to see if it catches someone else's eyes.

Eliza-Lou Land likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Have you had any tests run for GI inflammation/maldigestion/malabsorption issues, e.g. pancreatitis, B12/folate or exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (latter not very common in cats but does occur).

Mogs

4. Eliza-Lou Land

Eliza-Lou Land New Member

He’s had bloodwork done several times as well as the abdominal ultrasound.. would those things show up on either of those?

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Spec fPL (pancreatitis) is usually ordered in addition to the standard blood panels. B12/folate and fTLI (EPI) tests might be included if your vet ordered a GI panel, otherwise they too would need to be specifically ordered.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.