? Diabetes relapse: less responsive to insulin (Lantus)? remission twice possible?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ran & Solo, Jan 25, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ran & Solo

Ran & Solo New Member

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your feedback in advance!

I wonder for anyone with experience of diabetes relapse, did your kitties need much larger dose to be regulated? Did you have to switch to different type of insulin? Was it possible to reach remission for more than once?

Anything you can share would be really helpful!

More information:

Solo became diabetic in Dec 2021 after an episode of acute pancreatitis, and had remission in June 2022 following the tight regulation protocol using Lantus (thanks very much to this forum!!).

He recently became diabetic again, with blood sugar in the 375 - 550mg/dl (20 - 30 mmol/l) range on a human meter! I've started him on insulin treatment again and it's been almost 3 weeks, and I still haven't been able to bring him down close to the normal range. He's now at 2U Lantus BID, and the Nadirs are around 250gm/dl (14 mmol/l). Previously the largest dose he ever needed was just 1.5U (for a very short period of time).

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ran and Solo and welcome back. I am sorry Solo has come out of remission.
    Just some questions first…
    • I can’t see any testing after 31/12/21. Have you been maintaining the SS? We really need to see some recent data to be able to help and advise you.
    • What are you feeding now? Have you been feeding a low carb diet the entire time since he went into remission.?
    • You say that he is a diabetic again……even though he went into remission, he was still a diabetic ….just a diet controlled diabetic. That means he has to have a low carb diet for life.
    • Is your insulin still in date? If it has been opened more than 6 months it may not be any good now.
    • On looking back at Solo’s history, I see he had DKA at diagnosis. Would you mind putting ‘DKA at diagnosis’ into the signature please as it is important we know that when helping you. Thanks.
    Bron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.