Diabetic cat in remission but chronic pancreatitis - advice please!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dee1991, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee1991

Dee1991 Member

Hey everyone!

I’ve posted here before about aboo getting diagnosed with diabetes and on some great news he’s been in remission for a few weeks!!

on the downside, we’ve gotten his diabetes in check but he still puked fairly often and has these frequent bouts of pancreatitis. Our vet told us we have to change his food to a less diabetic friendly and more easily digestible food to help his pancreatitis, which in turn will help his blood glucose levels. She described the diabetes possibly having been caused by the frequent pancreatitis.

anyways, the food she wanted us to put him on is an anallergenic dry food which I did not want to do at all (given the dry food rabbit hole I went down after researching cat diabetes!). I’m wondering if anyone has any guidance or suggestions for pancreatitis. It breaks my heart to see aboo puke once or twice a day and avoid his food.

My spreadsheet is a little sporadic now that I’ve started a few new jobs, but I’m randomly spot checking to make sure he stays in remission. just want him to start feeling better, it’s been a long few months.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Dee and Aboo,
    My kitty Sheba used to get pancreatic flares while she was in remission but her BG used to go back to normal after a couple of days.
    Looking at his SS it does look as if he might need a bit of insulin.

I would not swap him over to the dry food that the vet is recommending. It would definitely take him out of remission. Dry food is too high in carbs. And it will definitely not help his blood glucose levels.
    Have you thought about looking at a raw diet or a home make cooked diet for Aboo? That would be very suitable for him.

Have you tried Slippery Elm Bark Powder for the vomiting?
    He might also need some cerenia if he is having a pancreatic flare.

3. Dee1991

Dee1991 Member

hi there,

thank you for your response. I have thought about switching to home made food but ever since he because diabetic and we had to switch foods he’s become so picky! Like some days he’ll love the food we give and the next day he won’t touch it unless we give him something else, which he’ll gobble up. Then he’ll suddenly hate that one and we’ll give him the old food and he’ll gobble that up.

I do have some cerenia on hand, it just feels like I’ll have to consistently give it to him because he puked so often.

I’ve done some reading on raw or home cooked meals, but would you recommend I get a diet created specifically for him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.