Diabetic neuropathy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenifer, Oct 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Hello my fellow feline lovers. I originally posted this in the remission forum but it was suggested I try posting here instead. I'm wondering how many (if any) of you have a cat that ended up with severe neuropathy. Kitten has had mild symptoms since a month or two before diagnosis. Once on insulin though, she seemed to improve quite a bit. She was back to jumping on the coffee table and up on the couches and stuff.
    Kitten has been off insulin since 9/16 and has been regulated for about a 3-4 weeks before that. But two days ago she started wobbly walking and now can barely stand up on her own. She can only go a few steps before she falls over. We took her to the vet and they are kind of stumped because usually the neuropathy will stay the same or improve once a cat is regulated or in remission, not get worse. We are waiting on bloodwork to rule out any other issues but we're doubting it will show anything as she just had bloodwork done 2 months ago and she was healthy. I would love any feedback or advice if anyone has dealt with something similar. This is quite the blow for a cat who has been battling one horrible thing after another for close to a year. My heart is breaking for her :(

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jenifer,
    Have you tried adding Methyl-B12 into her food? It cant hurt. I use to mix in 3000 m with every meal I'm not sure if this is neuropathy but It works like B12 any excess they just pee out
    @Diane Tyler's Mom may be able to post

Diane is it you that post online Mb12 ???

Jenifer likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Keep an eye out for low potassium levels. It's one possible cause of weakness, especially of the hind legs, even when serum levels are still in the normal range but close to or at the lower limit.

Be sure to let us know how you get on, Jenifer.

Mogs

Jenifer and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

That doesn’t sound like neuropathy to me. The falling over part is a concern. They have a really hard time walking but Minnie never fell over. She’d stop and test but the falling over makes me think there could be something neurological going on. And I’d do what Mogs suggested too.

Jenifer and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  5. Critter Mom

Or possibly something balance related?

Jenifer, I suggest a search online for symptoms of vestibular syndrome in cats to see whether there's anything familiar therein. (Brainstorming here.)

Mogs

6. jt and trouble (GA)

This is what I was thinking but couldnt remember it was potassium. Damn gettin old SUCKS:(

Critter Mom and Jenifer like this.
  7. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

I had read about the methyl b12 while looking into neuropathy the other day and was going to ask my vet about it at her next visit before all this crap happened. I will be picking some up ASAP. Still waiting on bloodwork which will let me know potassium levels. My vet never called me today and no one answered the few times I called. To say I’m furious is an understatement. :mad: I’m leaning towards some type of vestibular disorder like mentioned above. She doesn’t have any other symptoms that suggests it’s neurological either so a sudden loss of balance is really the only explanation until the bloodwork comes back and suggests something different. At least she’s not in pain and doesn’t seem to be too upset about what’s going on. I put a temp litter box and feeding station on the main level for her so she doesn’t have to do stairs. BG is back down today after riding high all day yesterday. Scared the crap out of me but it was obviously just stressed related. Fingers crossed for some answers for my girl tomorrow. :(

Attached Files:

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. jt and trouble (GA)

sending positives and prayers...:bighug:

Jenifer and Critter Mom like this.
  9. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Well, it's not looking good. Kittens bloodwork is normal except for she's anemic. My vets words were "I have a feeling there is something far more sinister going on here......" He thinks she has some type cancer. Can't remember what type he said but I think he was talking about bone marrow cancer. Which of course is something you can't just test for! You have to do a freakin bone biopsy. We are sending her blood to a pathologist to try and get some answers on what is causing the anemia and hope they can figure SOMETHING out! In the meantime I'm going to start her back on steroids and the methyl-B12 in hopes it will help with her mobility. She can't really even get around anymore and has just been laying on her side most of the day. This is just absolutely insane!!! :arghh::(:mad::nailbiting:

JaxBenji and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  10. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Prayers for you and Kitten.

11. jt and trouble (GA)

Adding my prayers and healing vines...sigh

12. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hugs to you and Kitten Cat :bighug: Sending lots of healing love and peace.

BTW, do you have her lab values? I have seen people add them to their SS and ask for input as some folks are pretty well versed in the labs (I'm not one of them...).

13. Critter Mom

:(

More prayers on their way to you from this side of the pond.

(((Jenifer and KittenCat)))

:bighug:

Mogs

14. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

I’m writing with this with tears streaming down my face. I had to put Kitten to sleep tonight. Her poor body couldn’t hold out any longer. By this morning she had basically lost all function of all four limbs and had labored, shallow breathing. The pathology report came back today too and showed non-regenerative anemia which is most likely caused by bone marrow cancer. Everything else had been ruled out by bloodwork and medications. I am so angry! So, so angry. She fought so hard and overcame so much over and over again and then was taken down like that?! The only thing that even remotely makes me feel better is that we know we did everything possible for her and that she wasn’t suffering. Her body may have given out on her but she was still happy as could be and purring away. She was even still trying to walk around but it wasn’t working out well for her. We gave her a bunch of her favorite dry food towards the end of the day and I held her up so she could eat it. She was over the moon about it. Anyway, I’m going to go back to bawling my eyeballs out and loving up on all the other animals and talking to them about Kitten. Thank you all again SO MUCH for your help. She had a few more great months with us because of you all. This is a pic of Kitten and Doug this afternoon a couple of hours before the end. He’s been by her side this whole time until the very end. 326C565F-039A-4CA4-84CA-10425942601A.jpeg

jt and trouble (GA) and JaxBenji like this.
  15. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

I am so sorry! Sending you endless amounts of love! My heart hurts so badly for you.

Jenifer likes this.
  16. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

I'm so sorry Jenifer. I am crying as well at this. I know it was a hard decision but you gave her the hardest gift ever to have to give. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:. She knew she was loved and will always be in your heart. cat_wings>ofly free sweet Kitten.

Jenifer likes this.
  17. jt and trouble (GA)

I am so very sorry to read this sad news. Your picture says it all. She knew this is my home and mom did what I couldnt do for myself. The release from pain is our hardest but most loving gift we can give. My heart is breaking for you. None of these words will heal your pain but please know Kitten is running and jumping again at the "Bridge" KNOWING one day we will be together again.
    Be kind to yourself. You are a GOOD kitty mom.

Fly free little Kitten soar free from pain. Then come back and settle in moms broken heart. Let her know your spirit is near.
    Until you meet again.:rb_icon::bighug::rb_icon:
    j

Roberta and Chloe and Jenifer like this.
  18. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi Jenifer - I was just thinking about you and wondering about Kitten. I'm so sorry to hear the news and my heart breaks for you all. It's so clear how much you all cared for Kitten :bighug: Hugs to you all and fly high sweet Kitten.

@tiffmaxee thought you may be interested in this {sad} news

19. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Jennifer, I’m so very sad to read this. It’s just not fair. I’m crying too with you. No words will help with the pain you feel I know first hand. One day I hope you can take comfort in knowing you did everything possible for your beautiful girl. My heart breaks for you. Kitten was so loved and will be missed but always in your heart. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

@JaxBenji Thank you for letting me know.

jt and trouble (GA) and JaxBenji like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.