? Did I contaminate my pen?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JaneL & Sebastian, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaneL & Sebastian

JaneL & Sebastian New Member

Sebastian is newly diagnosed and I've been giving him 1u Lantus twice a day for about a week now, but unfortunately I've been pushing excess insulin back into the pen when I pull too much out. Now that I've watched the video, I'm afraid I've contaminated the pen. It is still completely clear but there are air bubbles in it. I will definitely switch to the correct technique now, but can I continue to use the pen or do I have to throw it out? (I haven't started blood testing yet.)

I've been trying to educate myself a little bit at a time to keep it from getting too overwhelming, but I wish I saw that video sooner. The vet tech trained me on a vial, not a pen, and I'm sure I was in shock at the time and didn't absorb everything he said anyway. Still taking it a day at a time...!

Thanks,
    Jane & Sebastian

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

It is probably fine. My 1st vet actually told me to always draw more and push some back in, she is now an ex-vet! Also, make sure the plunger is all the way forward before putting it into the pen, they always come from the factory a little bit open.

Are you home testing? I don't see any BG#s on the SS.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  3. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi Jane and Sebastien,

and welcome, I think that so long as it is clear and has no floaties in it you are OK, the lubricant in the syringes can be a problem for the insulin, so you may find it doesn't last as long, so keep inspecting the contents and if you find it goes cloudy/or has floaties then might be the time to open a new one.

Good job on getting the ss set.
    Have you been trying to home test? If you need any tips with that just holler.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I completely understand that!

Welcome. Ask any and all questions. We are here to help in any way.

What were his numbers at the vets? How much does Sebastian weigh?

5. JaneL & Sebastian

JaneL & Sebastian New Member

Hi Lizzie, his initial BG was 573 and he weighs 17 pounds.

And I haven't tried home testing yet. That is next on my list!

Thanks for the support everyone.

JanetNJ and Bronx's dad (GA) like this.
  6. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:D

Be calm and keep Sebastian calm. Give lots of lovins and smooches and praise. If you have and LC treats give him one even if you aren't successful. You want it to be a positive experience for you both. Firm voice if needed and firm hold if necessary but always praise and positive reinforcement.

Hometesting Links and Shooting Tips
    ^click

Let us know how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.