Did I reduce OK? Prozinc question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Howiesmom, Oct 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

@Deb & Wink
    @Panic

Howie’s PMPS was 209 tonight which is on the lower side for him so I opted to reduce to 5 units from the 6.5 of his regular dose. Obviously I’m asking after the fact, but would you have done this or would you have reduced further? He is not eating his mini meals in his auto feeder during the day for some reason and is still showing trace to small amounts of ketones. I haven’t been able to get hardly any mid-cycle tests this week as I haven’t been getting home From work much before his feeding time. I will obviously test him until bedtime to monitor him tonight. I just don’t need an episode like I had earlier this week when he dropped to 108 and I had to work to get him back up. I know it’s not danger zone necessarily, but he’s not had low numbers like this. Thanks!

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You gave full dose of 6.5u a couple days ago for 205 so I would think you're good. May have to keep an eye on him though so those lows don't happen again.

With trace ketones I'm not sure if a token dose (10-25% of full dose) would have been too much a reduction. Why can't he seem to shake those ketones I wonder?

3. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

As soon as I gave him the 5 units, I quickly panicked and thought I should’ve done 50% reduction instead? As for the ketones, we don’t know what is going on. He’s spunky and happy.

A totally separate question...tomorrow night, I have to work and won’t be home anytime around the time I can feed him (early or late). I have a friend who will feed and give insulin, but isn’t comfortable testing him. I have no other options. Should I tell her to give a reduced shot just in case he is low like this again? 5 units? 4 units? I’d rather him be high obviously than get too much and he dips when I’m not home. It’s not ideal, but I don’t have other ppl I can call on right now.

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You know, with ketones still present I'm really not sure ... we really don't want them coming back.

I would think a reduced shot but not sure by how much ... sorry I'm not very helpful with that, Deb may have a better guess. :( How late will you be leaving tomorrow? Maybe get a test in later in the day to see where he's at?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

With trace ketones, or any ketones really, you do not want to do a token dose.You want to shoot as close to the regular dose as you can do.

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  6. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

If I’m lucky, I can test him at +9 Before I have to go back to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.