Diet for kidney disease and diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NatashaL, Jul 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NatashaL

NatashaL Member

Hi,

Thanks to this board our cat Ron is now in remission but he's still with our other cats eating friskies Pate. One of our other cats is now starting to get kidney disease. I know wet food is best so it's good that we are feeding her that, but does anybody know if the friskies food is also good for kidney disease?

Thanks so much!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Reading can labels for low phosphorous is in your future. This is one of the best sites I've found with the help of the good folks here:
    https://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm
    Good luck I've yet to find one that my Zoe will eat with any consistency. :rolleyes:
    She will eat some of the Wureva varieties. ...sometimes:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

How bad are his kidney problems?

I wouldn't suggest giving a kidney prescription food unless he's problem is very advanced and friskies is a bit too high in phosphorus for a cat with kidney problems

You will need to start looking for low phosphorus food though and probably change them both to low carb low phosphorus wet food, your diabetic will benefit from a low phosphorus diet as long as it is low carb and any cat gets benefit from low carb

In Dr Lisa's list you need to look for food that is 200 or less in phosphorus, the lower the better

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.