Disheartened before curve

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

I believe I read that with ProZinc you can change with 30 minutes a day? I'm afraid I won't have him on the same time by Sunday.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Oh that's a good question, I am surprised it had not crossed my mind about daylights savings but I have not been operating on all circuits lately, lol. I think it is 30 mins per cycle but when I moved Maury I did do 30 mins per day. I just found an old post (we're not the first to wonder ;)). http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/daylight-savings-time-march-13th.153929/#post-1625244

FYI: The times listed for Option A are for Lantus users. I think we would use Option B :cat:. Envious of AZ and HI people lol

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You can do 30 min per cycle or per day...Prozinc is lucky as it has the flexibility. You could do it in 15 min increments too. 15 min earlier tonight, 15 min earlier tomorrow morning, 15 min earlier tomorrow night...and then BAM on Sunday morning, you're at an hour earlier! :) Or you could do 30 min earlier tonight and then 30 min earlier tomorrow night...

It's up to you and however it works best with your schedule. I changed my cats feeding time over a weekend due to my work schedule change and I did it by 15 min for each meal until we were eating an hour later...they barely noticed due to the small changes. :)

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

With ProZinc you can just shift the time and not worry. I did that with Teasel. To lessen the impact you could do it in two 30 minute increments today and tomorrow. He should be stable enough by Sunday but you should make a note of it when you do your curve.

5. Caitlin M

Thanks all! I'll do a 30 minute difference starting tonight.

Rachel likes this.
  6. Yong & Maury GA

7. Caitlin M

Should the dose be a bit less fit these also since there's less than 12 hours between?

8. Kris & Teasel

It can probably stay the same unless you have a surprise low number at PMPS.

Caitlin M likes this.
  9. Caitlin M

Thank you!

10. Caitlin M

Oh boy, we had fun getting the PMPS today! Took almost over 20 minutes longer than usual. His ear wouldn't bleed! Anywho, 422, so I'll give him 2 units and begin the time transition tomorrow.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Caitlin - maybe there's something in the air today. I couldn't get Sam's ear to bleed for anything! Both this morning and this evening. Good job getting it done! Are you doing the curve tomorrow or Sunday?

12. Caitlin M

Is there a full moon or something?! I'm doing it Sunday. Gonna do the time change thing tomorrow and hope for the best with the curve.

ShipsCat, Rachel and Djamila like this.
  13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think there actually is a full moon!

14. Caitlin M

Couldn't get blood again this morning and I was so exhausted that I just couldn't try again. The second I try to keep him still he turns into a growl monster and I wasn't willing to fight. Based on prior AMPS's I'm going with a skinny 2. Might just give his ears a break before tomorrow, especially given how this just went.

15. Kris & Teasel

Sometimes you just have to do what you can do. A SS full of data is a great reference for times like this. Breathe ...

Caitlin M likes this.
  16. Djamila

I went back to the 30 lancets this morning. I decided that one effective poke was better than 3 bad pokes and a squeeze. He ended up with a bruise from yesterday which he hasn't had in ages. :blackeye: I'm going to watch his water intake today. I'm wondering if he's a little dehydrated.

Well, that explains it! Hopefully that won't make my curve today all wonky! ;)

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Caitlin, have you considered trying to quick pokes next to each other? I used to do that in the beginning...just immediately poke poke. That helped while her ears were learning to bleed.

As Kris said, you do what you have to, though! We know it's hard, and you have data you can use. And you can keep an eye on him visually and just see how he SEEMS...that's valuable too (sometimes more valuable than numbers as it reminds us that our kitties are doing okay, even when numbers are wonky!). Give yourself a break...we've all been there. :bighug:

18. Yong & Maury GA

What about when numbers are ok and kitty is wonky? LOL

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  19. Caitlin M

I'm still using the 26 gauge lancets-aren't those the thickest, therefore better at producing blood? I checked his ears just now and they are looking SO much better from the bruising. I hadn't considered that it may be the size lancets? If I got 30, would it be easier to get blood?
    I would LOVE to be able to do two quick pokes! Lately I'm amazed that I can get one before he shimmies away :confused: His ears used to bleed so well! Like the first two weeks I was stunned. Maybe I do need to change lancets? I think I also need to be a little more sympathetic again towards the experience. I think I've just been expecting him to be used to it and stop fighting, but may need to think about how I went into it in the beginning when I was new doing it and wanted to be so careful and gentle. Not that I'm hostile and jabby now! But yeah... visually he seems to be doing so well!

Ok, I was asked to possibly babysit for about 6 hours tomorrow. I'm already 3 weeks past his initial dose, so I know he needs a curve done and I was planning for tomorrow. Pita is my number 1 priority but I'm wondering if it's possible to just keep doing one more week of 'normal' testing and do the curve next weekend? This makes me feel horrible even wondering, but the money would be SO good and could be put towards his supplies. Thoughts?!

20. Kris & Teasel

I don't think there's a problem waiting a week to do a curve. Money for FD supplies is a good thing! :D

21. Caitlin M

Oh thank goodness. I have no problem saying no to it, but it was weird thinking 'I should say no because he needs the curve. But I should say yes because the money can go to his stuff...'. Thank you!

22. Kris & Teasel

We do weigh ourselves down, don't we? ;)

Caitlin M likes this.
  23. Djamila

I know I'm not an expert on all of this, and tend to "cheat" a little on my own curves (I never do the +10 test since I know he's rising by then), so take this with a giant grain of salt, but you more or less did a curve during the AM cycle on 2/26. And you're getting lots of data during the PM cycles. You're getting enough data to pretty much tell where the nadir falls in the cycle, and at least for the PM cycles, to see that Pita isn't dropping too low. That's really the point of doing the curves anyway: Keep the kitties safe and have a sense of the efficacy of the doses. So again, I'm open to being corrected on this if I'm misunderstanding it all, but it looks like you're getting the information you really need, even if you haven't done an 'official' curve.

Caitlin M likes this.
  24. Kris & Teasel

You're absolutely right. A dense scatter of BG tests at many times over many days will be better than a BG curve in showing the response to a dose. A curve is a snapshot while the other tests are a movie.

ShipsCat likes this.
  25. Caitlin M

Thank you both so much! I think for now I want to focus on us getting better with the poking again. Any input on the lancet gauge size?

26. Kris & Teasel

I use 28 gauge lancets and I poke free hand with the lancet sitting in the holder so I have something bigger to hold on to (wonky hands).

Caitlin M likes this.
  27. Djamila

ARG! I'm so so sorry! I messed that up! The 30's are the little ones, the 26's are the big ones. I took a sharpie and wrote BIG and LITTLE on the boxes because I kept forgetting, but then when I posted I reversed it.

28. Djamila

So I'm using the 26's today since we struggled a bit yesterday. So far the tests have been one-poke, so it seems to be working.

29. Caitlin M

Haha thank you!

30. Caitlin M

Well, we just had a very good, easy test :):facepalm: PMPS is 335 and I'm going to give him a fat 2 units about 30 minutes early to get ready for tomorrow. I feel good! And he's had a great day. Playing with catnip, chasing his brother (which is hilarious to watch) and then some snuggling on my lap. Will try to do a +5 since it looks like that's usually his nadir.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  31. Kris & Teasel

Post test debrief: what made this test go so smoothly? What was different? What was the same?

32. Caitlin M

Biggest thing- mindfulness. He goes right to his spot every time and starts purring for treats. I didn't play music like I have been. I placed a pillow behind him as a buffer without touching him. Gave him maybe a few less treats each time I warmed. Tried to even my breathing a bit. I honestly think just mindfulness. He was ready to eat so he wasn't necessarily 'calm' but he didn't squirm as much either.

Rachel, ShipsCat and Kris & Teasel like this.
  33. Caitlin M

I'm at PetSmart and picked up a couple cans if Friskies Pate for then to try. They're 5.5 oz a can instead of the 3 for FF and they're a little cheaper. Anyone have any input on it? I can also make a new thread on the main post.

34. Djamila

I think that's why many people go with the Friskies. Everything else about our sugar kitties is so expensive - it's one place you can maybe save a little.

35. Kris & Teasel

I regularly mix Friskies pates with Teasel's prescription DM wet. I've kept buying the DM because he likes it, it's probably lower carb than Friskies so mixing reduces the overall carb level from Friskies alone. The addition of Friskies adds flavour variety. I sometimes mix in Fancy Feast as well.

36. Caitlin M

Yes, very true! Wasn't sure if there was a reason it seems like people gravitate towards the FF more than Friskies. That's what it seems like at least! My goal isn't necessarily to get Pita into remission (although it's be awesome), but I do want him to be as well regulated as possible. I know a lot of people contribute their food to it.

37. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Not sure...I never used FF. I used Friskies (though we're all on Wellness now). But I wanted the bigger cans since I have several cats.

38. Caitlin M

Were you happy with the quality and how they seemed to do eating it?

39. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I was! We didn't have any problems and they seemed to love it. They eventually discontinued the kind I was using, so we switched to another food, but that was just due to the need for super low carbs...Gypsy couldn't handle above 5% as opposed to most kitties who are fine with under 10%.

40. Kris & Teasel

If I can judge by its appearance, smell etc. the Friskies food is just as good as the prescription DM that Teasel gets. A taste test isn't going to happen though ... :eek:

41. Caitlin M

Great to know, thank you!
    Hahaha, aww, come on Kris! Live a little :p

Djamila and Rachel like this.
  42. Yong & Maury GA

I only feed Friskies to Maury. I got a couple cans of FF Gravy Lovers for if he dips low. I had a couple HC Friskies for that but ended up wasting more because he only gets like 1T at a time. Figured I would use the smaller cans for if he gets too low :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  43. Caitlin M

Thanks Yong! You both like it?

44. Caitlin M

+5 was 206. Happy, but where did my blue and greens go?!

45. Yong & Maury GA

They just took the night off ;)

Djamila, Kris & Teasel and Caitlin M like this.
  46. Caitlin M

AMPS was 287! Last time it was around this number he was getting 1.8 u. Going to give the 2 and try to get a +5 before I go babysit.

47. Yong & Maury GA

Paws crossed =)

48. Kris & Teasel

Sometimes you have to take a chance. :)

49. Caitlin M

Ok, our +5 is a beautiful 99! Now the kicker- I leave in 30 minutes. Should I give him anything before I leave or maybe even try to do a +5.5? Thanks!

50. Kris & Teasel

You could try a 5.5 to see if he's holding or dropping. Leave him a little low carb food just in case.

51. Caitlin M

Thank you!

52. Djamila

Go Pita! Happy green!

Caitlin M likes this.
  53. Caitlin M

Low carb would just be his normal food, correct?

54. Kris & Teasel

Yes.

Caitlin M likes this.
  55. Caitlin M

Darnnit, it's at 82 and I have to go! Going to give him some of his wet and hope for the best? Now I'm nervous and mad at myself :nailbiting::arghh:

56. Yong & Maury GA

He's almost at his nadir, remember :). I think if you leave him a LC snack he'll be ok. Did you feed him anything on 7 March night cycle when he had the 84?

57. Caitlin M

No I didn't. Touche! I just gave him a bit, which of course made him happy. Ok, deep breath, thanks Yong :)

58. Yong & Maury GA

:bighug: I have been working on running to my data before panicking lol. "What did I do when I got a number like this before at this time" :)

59. Caitlin M

And of course I was rushing to leave so I didn't even think to look! Good reminder

ShipsCat, Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  60. Caitlin M

Well, no more greens tonight. However, I think tomorrow morning may be the first day I do a fat/full 2 units instead of the skinny. Please let me know any thoughts and thanks again for help today everyone!

61. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Will you be home to monitor tomorrow?

62. Caitlin M

No, back at work. Stick with the skinny?

63. Djamila

Were today's shots full or skinny?

64. Caitlin M

Today's were both full.

65. Kris & Teasel

Maybe the skinny because you can't monitor.

Rachel likes this.
  66. Caitlin M

Well, I took the day off due to illness. Go figure. AMPS was 419 and I still gave a skinny 2. Does that mean he's bouncing I now? Made me a bit bummed seeing the 400s. Will give a full 2 tonight. MA is expecting nearly 2 feet of snow tomorrow, so I'm guessing my school will be cancelled. Perfect day for a curve!

67. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Looks like a bit of a bounce to me. Sorry you're not feeling well, but it does make for a good time to give a little dose increase ;)

Hopefully you won't get too buried in snow up there!

68. Caitlin M

Thank you! Me and the boys have basically slept all day. I won't complain! Does a bounce mean the dose isn't working or just that he's still getting used to it? I feel like the 2 units has been good overall.

69. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Any time the blood sugar goes lower than they're used to, they release sugar into the bloodstream to counter it. For our diabetic kitties they don't have to be anywhere near actual hypo territory to trigger it. We refer to that as bouncing.

We don't advise raising the dose over a bounce, but going to a full 2u from a skinny isn't really a big increase and based on the days before he's ready for the full 2u anyway.

Some kitties make bouncing an art form like Teasel, Chuck, and my own little ball of fluff and trouble Hermione. :p

Kris & Teasel and Caitlin M like this.
  70. Caitlin M

Hey all, I just made a new post on PZI, but in case this reaches people sooner- i gave his full 2 units tonight, just got home to do a +5 and he's at 57. Should I give him his normal wet food or go with the gravy? Retest again in 20 minutes? Trying to stay calm, but would love some guidance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.