DKA. Can someone help. Please?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Aliciakuy, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliciakuy

Aliciakuy Member

I saw him tonight and he looked a lot more tired and watery eyes. He was being given a feeding though through his tube but he gets very very sleepy when we come. I think he gets relaxed because he purrs but makes me sad to see him so bummed out

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

He'll be much happier when he comes home, I'm sure. Poor little guy has really been through it, hasn't he?

Ann & Scatcats and Aliciakuy like this.
  3. Aliciakuy

Aliciakuy Member

He has...he isn't on drugs to treat his ITP either so I'm just waiting for his platelets to crash and I'm never ready for it...

I might want to start a new thread here.. he is on 3 tumil k tabs of potassium because it seems the insulin shots really dip his potassium. He is still diabetic the dr thought he wasn't for a day but his bg went up over night and they got it to 160 with a shot. I think at my work they have a glucometer for free someone donated I can have. I just dont know how often I should check his bg a day. I know literally nothing about diabetes I never thought I'd have to!

He is coming home this evening though and to be honest I am very nervous.

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what his BG numbers actually are at home.

I assume that Morton is coming home with his feeding tube? They can be handy to leave in, just in case, for both food and meds, but I hope once he has his routine around him he'll do great without it. But it's a nice insurance policy. :bighug:

5. Aliciakuy

Aliciakuy Member

I dont think he is having it. He tried to eat when I visited last night but he seemed a little nauseated plus he was currently having food down his tube. But he loves his food at home when he feels good. I believe his Atopica was causing his anorexia because he ate well and sometimes a little pig like months ago before he started it. I opened the little baggie of food and he looked interested and ate a few pieces but kept sneezing making weird noises maybe because his tube was bothering him or something

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so glad he's coming home tonight, and that even in the hospital he's starting to show interest in food-- that's such a help! It is too bad if he can't keep the feeding tube, it's nice to have just in case.

I think starting a new thread is a good idea, a fresh start for his homecoming. Lots of folks around here have lots of experience with diabetes and can give tips on testing and home care. You can add a link back to this thread so that people can check out the full history, too.

Welcome home, Morton! :cat:

7. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Glad that Baby Morton will come home. I hope he loves to see his brother again and that the comfort of having his brother near will entice him to eat better.

With home testing we usually take a morning bg measure before meal, and 2-3 hours later, and then at midpoint of the the 12 hours that goes before last evening meal.
    It's a learning curve for you in how to manage it, but people here put up a record spreadsheet, which the others can teach you and keep the bg result notes in such. Then when at loss on your behalf others more experienced can look at the spreadsheet and give you advice. As notes to go into the spreadsheet people also write food intake and other meds given at the same time.
    Ask for the help in how to set up a spreadsheet from those more experienced and they will help.

I hope it all will work out nice, in the beginning it's bumpy but with time you will learn it all!

So glad for you Baby Morton will come home were he belongs and is comfortable!
    Good Work on your behalf!

You are in good hands here.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.