Do I give shot??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sugarkitty15, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Hi! Not sure what to do tonight regarding PM shot. Squeaks’ PMPS reading was 130. He was absolutely starving so I didn’t want to stall and retest. I did feed him and plan on retesting in a few hours. When I retest, if he’s above 150 (which He very well could be) should I give him his shot? Or just wait until tomorrow morning? TYIA!

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Thats a good question I cant see on your spread sheet how many units his regular is. But personally I would stall and retest or just skip the shot. NOW I AM NO EXPERT so you are better off waiting for more advice @Nan&Amber(GA)

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Or @Deb & Wink who is more familiar with prozync :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

hahaha I was looking for you! :p THANKS

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

When you say re test in a few hours and maybe give shot then, how late will the shot be by then?

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Squeaks is getting 0.75U of Prozinc right now.

If you wait 2 hours past the usual shot time, that means your shot time tomorrow should be at least 1 hour later than normal.
    I would not wait any longer than the 2 hours, for the PM shot. If Squeaks is not high enough by then to give the shot, 150 or over, then skip the shot for this evening and pick up the dosing schedule at your usual time in the morning.

With Prozinc, there is a bit of flexibility in giving shots a little bit closer together than the standard 12 hours, ONCE in a while. It's not something you want to get in the habit of doing. Because it can make the BG's drop a bit lower than normal. so you need to be able to monitor.

If pushing your AM shot time 1 hour later tomorrow 5/16/20 is not possible, then skip the shot tonight.

If you get a BG over 150 mg/dL, then ok to shoot the 0.75U tonight, but please monitor. You'll want to get at least a +2 and a +5 and/or a +6. I've got a feeling that with that PMPS of 130 mg/dL, that Squeaks is heading lower tonight. Of course, the food influence may make him look higher. So you want to do a couple of tests in this PM cycle to keep him safe.

You could also give Squeaks a greatly reduced dose, so he has at least some insulin in his system to process the food. We usually say 10-25% of the normal dose. 25% of 0.75 is about 0.2U in a U40 syringe. Think of this as being with the plunger almost on the bottom line of the syringe, what we call the 0 (zero) line.

So Betsy, those are your 3 options.

7. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Thanks! I just tested and he’s at 164, so I will give him a greatly reduced dose and then a shot at least an hour past normal time tomorrow morning.

8. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Also, how should I track this since it’s been +14 and now I gave him his shot?

9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

In all cases, make a note on the SS why you delayed the shot. Always good to have, for future reference when we are looking back at the SS to try and understand what is going on.

There are a couple of ways you can track this on the SS. I'm listing them in the order of preference.
    1. Stack the BG tests in the same cell for the pre-shot test, and put a +14 beside the second test time. Something like this:

164 +14

You would then have to manually color code the cell, since the formatting behind the scenes of the SS can not do that when there is more than 1 number in a cell.

2. Put both numbers in the pre-shot cell, make a note in the Remarks column on the far right, that the shot was 2 hours late.

3. Put only the number you actually shot at in the pre-shot cell, make a note in the Remarks column on the far right, that the shot was 2 hours late. List the other test numbers you got in the Remarks and be sure to indicate which cycle this was for.

10. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Ok great! I did option 1. ☺️ Thanks for your help!

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.