Do I need a better dry food for 3 yr old cat with constipation

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sjewell, Apr 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjewell

sjewell Member

Just wondering, I was on here before, had a 16 yr old cat with diabetes and got some great advice..took him completely off dry food and just gave him Fancy Feast pate., with 6 weeks of insulin, he was diabetes free (note, the diabetes developed when the vet gave him a steroid shot for another issue)...Salem ended up dying from cancer almost a year later but I've learned in the meantime about dry food/diets especially for male cats. I have a 3 yr old boy now (adopted in 2018), before I got him, his main diet was kibble, no canned foods. I give all my cats both and try to find a medium, better dry cat food. He does get constipated more than usual and licks himself alot (he's not long hair, but very short hair). I give him Rachel Rae Nutrish dry food (salmon w/brown rice recipe) and Sheba salmon perfect portions, he loves both. I've read that Hills and Blue or Wellness have better dry foods (I know they're more expensive which is fine), I want him to be healthy. He had a checkup a couple weeks ago & doc said he's looking good. Still I'd like to catch this earlier than later and also willing to remove dry completely from his diet. Looking for suggestions.. Thanks., Sheila

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Fundamentally, there are no good dry foods unless you include freeze dried raw diets. Most of the kibble that's out there is high in carbs. Cats are obligate carnivores -- their body can't process fruits/veggies/carbs. They are meat eaters. For example, the Rachel Ray food contains brown rice. Your cat can't process it. You might want to take a look at Dr. Lisa's site on feline nutrition. She has a great deal of information an a species appropriate diet for cats.

The other big problem with dry food, aside from the carbs, is that cats don't have a huge thirst drive. In the wild, they get liquid from eating raw prey. If you feed your cat kibble, they are likely close to being dehydrated. Canned food contains a great deal of moisture. (Read the labels on the foods you're using. They typically list moisture content.) There's a dramatic difference between kibble and canned food with regard to moisture content. Water helps to keep your cat's kidneys healthy and kidney disease is a common ailment in older cats. Frankly, I have my guys on a primarily raw and canned diet and I routinely add water to their food.

None of the dry foods you mentioned are great. Blue has had several recalls in the past couple of years. Read the ingredients. While there may be a protein source that's not the dreaded "animal by-products," I'm betting there are lots of fruits and veggies in the brands you've mentioned.

Some people here use Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein or Young Again Zero Carb if their cats are dry food addicts and refuse to transition to canned food.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Sienne. Dry food is not good for cats because of the carb content and because of the low moisture content. It’s like feeding garbage to your family all the time.
    Have you tried a raw diet to the freeze dried foods on the market now.?

4. sjewell

sjewell Member

Thanks. That's what I thought, best to get him off the dry food. Is Sheba wet good, I read it's grain free which I wasn't even aware of. If I take him off the dry, I would be willing to spend more on the better, expensive wet good - if any suggestions. I may look into the raw foods as well.

5. sjewell

sjewell Member

Anyone have reviews for Freshpet cat food? I may try that. Looks like lower in carbs and high quality protein, no "fillers".

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

7. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Constipation happens when there isn't enough fluids in their diet, so dry kibble is useless at least. It might even make things worse. I've had success using RC fibre response, before I was aware of the low thirst. And fibres can be added to canned foods too, they help move things along. So if I were you I'd ditch the dry completely. Canned food is better all way around. Less carbs, more moisture, more natural :D

8. sjewell

sjewell Member

I saw that but it's not the same one that I bought. I bought "Select Moisture Rich Tender Bites" Tender chicken recipe. I was reading reviews for this "fresh" food which is kept refrigerated but saw some that say it goes bad/gets moldy very quick, so you have to use within a week (even though the expiration date is months out). I put a little bit of the Freshpet into his dry food - and he loves it..he picked it all out of the dry food (Rachel Ray Nutrish Salmon & brown rice recipe). I can't find carb amounts of RR's food either but I'm assuming it's very high. Baby has been doing better. I think it was a combination of new hairbell gel remedy that I tried, and Greenie hairball treats..because after that he was vomiting. He's been better for a week or so, back to normal. I want to make sure he's eating the right foods. He is sometimes constipated and that's why I'm trying to get more moisture into him and less of the dry stuff. He also eats wet food (Sheba perfect portions, delicate salmon). Any tips would help. he's 3 yrs old, indoor cat.

9. sjewell

sjewell Member

Baby does drink. I bought him a fountain which he's starting to get used to now..I think it's just dry food, I may have to cut it out altogether. Trying the FreshPet tender bites, he does love them, slowly introducing, added about 10 bites into 1/4 cup of his dry food..to get him off dry completely.

10. sjewell

sjewell Member

I agree on the dry food..it's just not good. I will get him off, just trying to find something else for him in addition to the wet (Sheba pate) food he gets daily. Trying the FreshPet tender bites, he seems to like. We will see. Thanks for your advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.