Do I need to stay up for this?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chloe007, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Just looking for some quick advice. Oscar got an increase tonight, I'm usually up late at night and go back to sleep after his morning shots due to my work/school schedule so I often end up doing increases during the PM (just in case anyone was wondering why I didn't wait until morning).

He went from 2.25 to 2.5, and has been consistently high in numbers. He was 382 @ PMPS, he got his increase of 0.25, and at +2 he is 306...so a reasonable drop. Thing is, I'm suddenly not feeling well. I had been planning on staying up all night with him to test, but I can barely keep my eyes open. Should I force myself to stay awake for this cycle so I can test? Or will I be safe to go to sleep? Is there a specific time I should set an alarm for, just in case I do fall asleep?

I'm at +3 now, and will do a test to see where we are, will update.

Tagging @MrWorfMen's Mom . Made a new thread since I figured you might not be around right now to advise.

ETA: Okay, +3 we are at 286. I'm not sure if I'm over thinking things, since obviously his numbers are still high, but with a 100 point drop, and this being a new dose, I'm just not sure if I should get too comfortable.
    Forgot to mention Oscar gets a handful of Dr.Elsey's at +2, so 286 very well may be food influenced. He also gets a LC snack at +5 just to be clear. :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Reason for edit: tagging user
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

286 isn't terrible, it's within the 20% discrepancy for meters so it's basically the same as it was an hour ago in that regard. Do you think you'd feel up to setting an alarm for +4 to just keep an eye on him since you did an increase?

3. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

That's true, but he gets a decent snack at +2 (about a handful of Dr.Elsey's) because he tends to drop at +2 for some reason, so that number was food influenced...I should probably mention that in my post. I think I can manage to just stay up until +4, no need to set an alarm, although I will just in case. Do you think I should be okay to sleep after +4? Oscar does tend to start rising again by +7/+8...and he gets a LC wet food snack at +5. I'll make sure not to feed him until his +4 so I can make sure his test this time around isn't influenced.

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I wish I could say for certain but cats are finicky creatures and do what they want BG-wise. Your health is important too so don't feel like you have to stay up if you can manage squeezing in some Z's between. I wouldn't worry about holding back food, it will help him steer that curve. When do you usually feed him after his PM shot, just +2 and +5?

5. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Yes, usually just +2 and +5, he will often just graze on the +5 food until he goes to sleep around +8...but he has been quite hungry lately so maybe I will leave a little extra so he doesn't eat it all at once and go without the rest of the night.

I appreciate your help, I know you or anyone else for that matter can't know for sure where his BG will go. I think I'm just going to give him an early snack and tuck him into bed with me so I can go to sleep right after +4.

Thank you

Panic likes this.
  6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan! You can always set a later alarm if you feel you need but I'm sure he'll be fine. Feel better, get some rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.