? Do I postpone shot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FelixMomRachael, Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FelixMomRachael

FelixMomRachael Member

Just changed Felix to Friskies Pate this a.m. and pmps was 123 (lowest ever). I waited 30 min and re-checked bg which is now 149. I am worried it will go too low if I give him the regular 3U. I have seen his bg go at least 300 points down in three to five hours. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think the safest decision would be to skip tonight unless you can easily change your shot times.

If you can change his shot times, you could wait a couple of hours and if he's high enough then, go ahead and shoot but that means shooting later that normal for the next few days while you work your way back to your chosen shot times

It would really help if you could start getting some tests in between the shots too. We really need to know how low the dose is taking him

3. FelixMomRachael

FelixMomRachael Member

Thank you Chris. He just tested @ 385, so I'm going to give the 3U now.

4. FelixMomRachael

FelixMomRachael Member

Did I mess up getting him regulated by waiting too long to give the shot? Also, if bg goes down 300 when Felix is @ 500+ will it also go down that much in lower #s?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No....this is just one cycle out of many. Treatment is a marathon, not a sprint. Every time you do something different, you learn. Maybe next time you'll either stall a little longer or go ahead and shoot as soon as you see his numbers are rising fast. You could also decide to give a smaller dose

I know it seems like "if my cat was at 400 and X units dropped him 250 points, if I give the same dose when he's at 150, he'll drop to zero" but it doesn't work that way. Have you read the info in the "Beginner's Guide to Vetsulin"?

Just an FYI....On your spreadsheet, the PMPS would be 385 @ +13.5.....the Pre-shot numbers are always the number you actually shoot. That way, the rest of the cells still line up correctly too. The + cells always correspond to the number of hours since the last shot.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. FelixMomRachael

FelixMomRachael Member

I read the guide but didn't see anything specific about how much bg drops from 400 compared to 100 w the same amount of insulin. I fixed the spreadsheet. Thank you for helping. I saw China's video. Very sweet kitty.

7. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Chris, I had a similar situation with Susie's AMPS this morning. Can you look at her spreadsheet? She had a 186 when I first checked. I "stalled" 25 minutes and rechecked twice. She was at 230 then 241. I would like to show that event in the AMPS box but not sure I did it correctly. Please advise. Oh, and I reduced her insulin (Vetsulin) to 1 unit this morning. Was that correct or should I have kept her at 1.25 since her number went up to 240?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.