? Do I skip insulin for tonight?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy and Stormy, Jan 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Stormy

Amy and Stormy Member

Okay so I was going to post this in the Lantus ISG, but I have never posted there before and I don't have a spreadsheet or anything yet, so I am just going to post here for now.

Some background information:
    Stormy (18M) spent 4 days in the hospital this week for pancreatitis, after starting Lantus last week. He was discharged on Wednesday and he still is not eating on his own so I am having to syringe feed. It's been a struggle to get all the calories he needs in him, he gets frustrated easily. I last fed him 2 hours ago, and I will be going to sleep shortly so I will not be up to feed him during the night. Also, he does have an ear infection, eye infection, and a UTI right now.

I am wondering if I should give insulin tonight. He is on 1 unit of Lantus twice a day. I have just started today to test at nadir (I think is what it's called? 6 hours after shot). And I just did his preshot test and it was pretty low so I am wondering if I should skip insulin for tonight. It was at 189. My only concern is POSSIBLY him going into DKA. He was off insulin for about a day while in emergency hospital and he was fine, but it makes me nervous to skip it. It also makes me nervous to give it, as I literally can NOT afford another emergency vet visit. I maxed out my Care Credit this week. I haven't been able to feed him as much today, as he was at my vet for a few hours getting subq fluids
    Here are his previous tests I have taken since he has been home:

Wed PM preshot: 322
    Thurs AM preshot: 328
    Thurs PM preshot: 293
    Fri AM preshot: 302
    Friday +6: 159 (sorry not sure how to format this. it was 6 hours after i gave lantus)
    Friday PM preshot (now): 189

EDIT: I just called the emergency hospital he was at and they suggested giving half a unit tonight and see where he's at tomorrow. But it makes me SO NERVOUS to give him any insulin as I know he won't be eating. If I give it I will set an alarm to get up and check his BG during the night.

Any help would be appreciated! I hope I gave all the necessary information.

Edit: sorry had to change a number I got mixed up

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

This was also posted on the Lantus forum and answered there.

Amy and Stormy likes this.
  3. Amy and Stormy

Amy and Stormy Member

Sorry I meant to post that here last night but I forgot. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.