Does M'row need Air Conditioning?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amina&M'row, Apr 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

Everyone's advice much welcomed. Every summer here (Minnesota) is hotter. I have struggled through this with fans, wet sheets, etc but now we are approaching M'row's first summer as a diabetic. He's well controlled & doing fine on 1/2 unit of Lantus every 12 hours; his blood glucose is always below 300 and above 100. Eats ff. Diagnosed Jan. 1 2019, had never been obese and at diagnosis weighed 8#, down 25% from his baseline weight, now regaining weight nicely. He's a longhair Maine Coon cross, about 16 years old. Weather here: usually at least 40% humidity, was really debilitating last summer and is hotter every summer. So: is this harmful or challenging for him now tha he has the added physical challenge of diabetes? Would his life be easier if I got air conditioning? I am reluctant to do this for ecological/environmental reasons, but of course M'row's needs come first and will get AC if needed. The temperatures this summer will probably be over 100°F for days on end, and humidity runs about 70-80%. Occasional breaks with thunderstorms. I really don't want to stress his health at all; he's doing so well now after his diagnosis. Last summer was evil: I spent a lot of time in bed with a wet sheet, fan on, shades pulled for the hottest six hours of the day. Thanks so much, everyone, for all your wisdom.

2. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

Thats a good question, my guys are Persians, so they have long hair too and our diabetic guy Jasper often pukes when the temperature gets too warm either naturally or from the heat being left a bit too high during the winter.

The same conditions basically that give me a migraine...make him puke... and I've been terrified especially when his numbers were higher...that we'd have a warmer day and he'd puke from that but I wouldn't know if it was that or dka or something...

I think it would probably be a good idea to have at least one room that has a/c if the conditions are as warm as you say... but maybe cats are able to adapt to it better than we think? Then again your breed and mine are not outdoor cats for like... a bazillion kitty generations lol...

Amina&M'row likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

As important as it is to prevent dehydration in sugarcat's, I'd think A/C would be a good decision

Cats are desert creatures so they can handle heat OK, but with that humidity and the fact that kitty is getting older, I'd think it would make him more comfortable

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I think you would enjoy the AC yourself, too. :)

Amina&M'row likes this.
  5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm in Florida and there would no way I would live without it.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I live in the DC area and only have my bedroom A/C'd.In the winter four of them are in my bedroom. However, in the summer only one is consistently in my bedroom. Cats are desert animals any many prefer the heat.

7. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Maybe you could try doing just one room (the bedroom?) and see if M'row chooses to spend his time there. It'll be good for him to see you more comfortable, too; I think they pick up on it when we're not feeling well, and I can't imagine feeling well in the summer conditions you've described!

8. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

Have camped in Wisconsin in late July, early August -- in a tent under trees it wasn't too bad (with plenty of cold water to drink, and a handheld fan), in an RV we felt like melting cheese on a pizza in a brick oven (generator and therefor AC quit working), enervating, difficult to sleep too -- if we went outside, attacked by swarms of mosquitoes -- so yes I feel your discomfort -- some of the smaller one-room standalone A/Cs are not so ecologically damaging as the old cantankerous window monsters, do some research, may help both of you considerably

9. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

1. Thanks to everyone for replies. I will get AC I think. :)

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.