Does your diabetic cat get into your garbage? Solution!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia & Bandit (GA), Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

So I have a cat that is determined to live up to his name, and is ready to destroy anything in his path to get to food he shouldn't have, and no normal cat should want to eat. I can't tell you the number of things I've done to keep him from knocking over and getting into the garbage. Bungee cords, child gates, even barricading it at night with kitchen chairs from all sides, and he's gotten though them all. Two nights ago he knocked it over and gorged himself on pizza crust and stale bread--of course, his BG rose to the 300s because of it. It doesn't even matter if there is actually food in the garbage--he scatters it across the kitchen just to make sure.

So in an act of desperation, yesterday I bought this garbage can at Lowe's: http://www.amazon.com/simplehuman-50L-Liter-13-Gallon-Semi-Round-Plastic/dp/B003VWMS5E. I questioned the wisdom of spending a 50 bucks on a garbage can (wish I had known it was only $40 on amazon), but I was ready to try anything. Sure enough, I wake up this morning and find the new garbage can toppled on its side. But....the lock remained firmly in place despite Bandit's best efforts and the garbage remained intact. It actually worked! What followed was about 5 full minutes of me dancing around the kitchen, singing "I win! I win! I win!"

Not sure how many of you have cats like mine, but if you do, I highly recommend the simplehuman locking garbage cans. Bandit, on the other hand, couldn't be more unhappy with it. :D

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

3. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

I got the same brand, slightly smaller size and my cats, including my FD, who is a confirmed garbage hound, have given up and stopped trying. I highly recommend them!

4. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Oh Bandit you are up to it again! I know it has something to do with that big, brown mask you wear.
    Julia I won't forget him ruining your Christmas cookies. Then getting in the trash for more frosting. :lol:
    I know you are probably at the point it's not funny anymore.
    Glad you found a trash can that's Bandit proof. YOU WIN...GAME OVER BANDIT! :lol:

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

So my boyfriend just called me--he forgot to lock it after lunch this afternoon, and Bandit knocked it over and ate some more pizza crust. angry(2)_cat

Point to Bandit.

6. cjaubz

cjaubz Member

7. SabrinaFaire

SabrinaFaire Member

We have the same brand but it's metal. Spent over $100 on it but Hobbs has never gotten into it. Well worth it to me!

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Another tip is to place a very heavy object in the base of the can, to make it less easy to tip over. (courtesy of the "Its' Me or the Dog" episode with a Jack Russel terrier terror!)

9. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Last year after I bought the house, I saw this can at Home Depot (on sale) and thought about getting it. My kitchen is stainless appliances, stove has black cooktop and granite is black; cabinets are maple. I thought it would look great, but asked for it for christmas but it never showed up. :lol: I have been thinking aobut getting it myself when I saw your post. Glad to hear that it works well. Does it trap the smell good too? Thanks for the link on Amazon. Free shipping and the ability to help buy going thru a link - ;-)

10. doombuggy

Bump - how does it contain the smell?

11. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

There's a great idea. Robbie pulls his sister's old cat food can's out of the garbage and licks out ALL the "gravy", eats bread, potato chips,whatever he can get his piggy little face on. I'll be looking into these - we have a tall locking one in the kitchen but I have smaller cans in the bathroom and back room which are where the cans from Roxie's food end up often (try as I might I can't train "Daddy" to remember to walk the 40 feet around to the kitchen garbage).

12. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I've had it for about a week now, and I haven't noticed any smells. And I put the pee pads from Bandit's litterbox in there so it's not for a lack of smelly garbage.

Because I kept finding tipped over, last weekend I put the baby gate back up in front of it--with the combination of the gate and the locking box, it's now been almost a week with not a single attempt at knocking over the garbage. I think he's finally given up! :D

And wow...I just clicked on the link I posted and the price has gone up on amazon to 61.99 +$12 shipping when it was 39.99 + free shipping last week. Well, if there's a Lowe's or a Home Depot near you they're 49.99 there.

13. doombuggy

Bandit you just crack me up! :lol: I have been so worried that Dallas would turn out to be a "dumpster diver" but nope. I would still like the can, since it would look nice in my open kitchen. :smile:

I think the reason for the price change on Amazon is the fact that another seller sells it now, not Amazon. I might wait to see if they get more in stock or wait for a sale at HD or Lowes.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ ... implehuman trash cans&storeId=10051
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_364941-29177-CW ... facetInfo=

Note both of these are geared to my area of the country, so the price might be different near you?

14. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Nope, Lowe's was definitely 49.99 so the price was the same on the web site. You can probably get it for 39.99 at one of those if you wait for a sale--I was acting out of desperation when I bought it so I didn't do any price shopping. :smile: I think Bed, Bath, and Beyond has them too but I'm not sure how much they are there, but they have frequent sales.

15. doombuggy

It had caught my eye last year when I walking around Home Depot looking for something else and saw it on sale. Must have been labor day weekend, right after I rescued Dallas - since I was thinking he'd be like Bandit!

Both Lowe's & Home depot are very close to my house, as if BB&B. I think I have a 20% off card for them, so I'll check that out. Thansk/!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.