? Dora AMPS 181 but not eating well

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dora the Explorer, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Hi-

last thread: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dora-stuck-in-the-300s-am-i-the-problem-or-is-she.241255/

Last night right before her PMPS, Dora vomited twice. She has taken to running to the door when the dogs come inside so she can have a treat so I think she ate too much freeze dried chicken. She’d also eaten well at lunchtime.

For the first time in a few days she tested below 300 on the AlphaTrack last night and she did eat a few bites of her dinner. I decided to give her her full dose of 2.5 and keep an eye on her. She ate a little more with her shot and did fine overnight.

We also ran out of AT test strips (I did save the last one for PMPS so they’re a bit mixed yesterday) so the newer readings are lower in part because they’re human based (aside from AMPS and PMPS yesterday). One of my cats puked in the night but I don’t think it was Dora based on where she was and where the other cat was all night (on Nest cam). But I can’t be sure because it was behind a table.

This morning she was 181 on Freestyle. She’s due right now for her shot. I will offer her more food but should I shoot a full dose? I can test today. I am afraid to lose ground as her numbers are lowering.

thank you!

Jane and Dora

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Is she eating okay? No more vomiting?

If you can monitor her today you can shoot - provided she will eat.

Why do you use AT? Most of us here use human meters. Our dosing protocols are written for human meters and the strips are also much cheaper!

Dora the Explorer likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

P.S. Could you drag your 2021 tab on your SS to the fat left so that it's the first one in the SS? Thanks! :)

4. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Thanks-

Dora is a slow eater so she spent a fair amount of time at her bowl but didn’t make much of a dent. I usually feed her a Sheba pate laced with freeze dried chicken (last night used YoungAgain Zero) to entice her.

I used AlphaTrack because the vet insisted and if I wanted her help I felt it was easier to comply. We have the freestyle because I left the AT at home once when this was our vacation home and bought the freestyle at cvs. I have more strips going but it’s much less stressful to see highs in the 200s than the 300s on the pet meter.

ok going to offer her more food now, she just went to lie in the dog bed with her neck out, in what I call her sick pose. I’ll try to check her urine today too.

thanks again!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Yes! I need to open the laptop to do that...

6. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

Update: I gave her her favorite Oceanwhitefish Sheba and a spattering of Young Again and she ate a good bit of it. Hopefully the upset stomach was from too many “chimkens” and the effects won’t last. But this is Dora, so you never know. She’s due for her annual bout of inappetance in a few weeks, after all.

When I found her last night she was licking her lips so I grabbed her and opened the toilet and she very compliantly threw up in there two times! She was like my drunken roomie :-/

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Bandit's Mom

Hopefully it was a scarf and barf. My brats go running to the bed or the sofa when they feel a vomit coming. They want to be comfortable when throwing up! :rolleyes:

If she dips below 90 today, she earns a reduction according to SLGS. :)

8. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

I don’t think so - that’s not really her style. She took her time. The other cat devoured her leftover breakfast though so she is the one prone to “scarf and barf”! I have a busy day of work but will make sure we get a few tests in. I’ll have to find something other than “chimkens” for her reward.

9. Bandit's Mom

Working from home? Start with a +2.

Dora the Explorer likes this.
  10. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

It may have to be a +3 due to scheduling. I’m sitting with her now after catching her in her “sick pose” (head straight out). I’m concerned she’s cooking up a bout of pancreatitis or something since her numbers have been so wonky. If she were any other of my cats I’d have taken her in by now but she’s fierce, so :-(

11. Bandit's Mom

Can you get a +1.5 then? Just want to see if she is heading lower and if she is, feed before she dips too low.

12. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer Member

So she isn’t dipping low - she was a little higher. In the 200s and climbing but no interest in eating unless I put the dry food on top. Acting ok otherwise. I’m waiting for her to use the litter box. Not sure if she still feels “off.” I’ll see how the rest of the day and night go. Argh! I wish she were a normal cat. I feel like she needs a quick check of blood and urine at the vet. Or maybe a shot of cerenia and/or some mirtazapine. This is how she started twice before but prior to her diagnosis.