? Dosage Advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mathilda and Maverick, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Mathilda and Maverick

Mathilda and Maverick Member

Hi!
    This is the first time I'm posting here and English is my second language, so please be patient if I'm doing anything wrong.

My Maverick was diagnosed about 1 month ago. He also had DKA, Pancreatitis, possible bowl inflammation, jaundice, Anemia, and possible triaditis. He is no longer anemic, and he is just now finishing up antibiotics and antacid meds. He is eating again after being on appetite stimulants and Cerenia.

Maverick was started on 1U Lantus 2Xday but its been reduced 0.25U at a time since he went low and I were unable to shoot several times causing very high values before next cycle. He is now down to 0.25U, but I'm starting to think it may be time to increase to 0.5U? He is high every night and seems to be high every second day daytime. I am very worried the DKA will return and he has seemed to be a little more uneasy the past two days. He's seeking to be alone more (hiding under a bed), his eyes are big, and he is starting to overgrow. I'm not sure if the grooming is due to high values or stress. Maverick prefers to eat more than twice daily (he's on PPP D/M canned food now), but I do not dare to feed him mid day when his values are high. I have not been able to test ketones the last 2 days but hoping to catch him peeing today.

The vet want to do a curve tomorrow, but I already have a lot of data from the Freestyle and the Glucometer, and I feel that pricking him extra will just stress him out more than necessary, especially as his days are so different in values depending on if the previous day been on the higher or lower end.

I'll attach his spreadsheet, unfortunately, I do not have the early data recorded there. This past 4 days data I solely based on the glucometer, the rest is a mix of glucometer and Freestyle.

Do you guys have any advice on dosage? Should I increase to 0.5U or do the curve tomorrow and let the vet decide?
    Any other tips and trix is also welcome as I'm very new to this and him becoming sick again is a constant worry. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place for a diabetic cat and his caregiver. I can’t open your spreadsheet. We have one that we use. I’ll provide the link. We usually ask that everyone start on the main health forum. If you don’t mind would you post there? They will get you set up with our spreadsheet, a signature, our dosing methods, and then send you back here. There’s no need to rewrite any of this. Just link this thread to the one on main health. While here though read the stickies at the top of this forum. Lots of information which then will give you both answers and questions which we will be happy to answer.

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  3. Mathilda and Maverick

Thank you! I just copied the spreadsheet as an PDF from the google doc, I'm probably doing that wrong- I'll try to figure out how to do it right and post there. Thanks!

4. tiffmaxee

5. Mathilda and Maverick

Thank you! I found the main health forum and reposted there, hoping the attached SS will be accessible

6. tiffmaxee

Once set up will look there. I will get you back here as soon as possible! :bighug::)

7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Mathilda, I don't see the post on the Main Forum. Is this the forum you posted on:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-welcome-main-forum.28/

Wrt the spreadsheet, you need to set up your Signature and paste the link for the Google Sheet in it.

To set-up your Signature, go to the menu at the top and point your mouse over your User Name. The dropdown menu has Signature on it. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any difficulty setting you your Signature and linking the SS.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  8. Mathilda and Maverick

Thank you! Did I get the signature right? I'm trying to figure out how to add the SS- do I just insert the URL? It seems to get too many characters if I do that, so do I just have to limit the writing more?

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator