Dose advice: New to home testing

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Mnkuech, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Mnkuech

Mnkuech New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to home testing so i figured I'd come here for some advice. My cat meeko was diagnosed with diabetes 3 months ago and was in critical condition with ketoacidosis which he made a full recovery from. We changed his diet right away. I leave Young Again Zero out during the day so he can graze, and give him Weurva wet food 30 mins before insulin. At first he was on 2 units of vetsulin every 12 hours, the vet did curve checks and his numbers were pretty low so we lowered his dose to 1 unit every 12 hours. He had a hypoglycemic episode the other night which is why I decided to home test. The vet had said possible remission? I bought the AlphaTrak 2 just because I wanted to keep consistent numbers with the vet. I tested him 4 hours after his shot this morning and he was at 72. Tonight, I tested him roughly 30 mins before I was suppose to give him shot and his numbers were at 124 so I decided to skip the dose. Am I going about this all wrong? Any advice would be helpful going forward!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That 74 is definitely low enough. In fact with Vetsulin it's preferable to have a slightly larger safety cushion at nadir (where BG is lowest). BG in the high 90s to low 100s is ideal for that. The pre shot number tonight was too low for you to give insulin.

We could be more helpful if you set up your signature and a spreadsheet like the one we all use here:

Mnkuech likes this.
  3. Mnkuech

Mnkuech New Member

Thank you for the advice! I will get a spreadsheet set up for his readings. My boyfriend gives him his morning dose before he goes to work and I'm already out for the day so testing him isn't really an option. Will that matter as long as we're vigilant in testing at night?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Testing at night is good. You can get daytime data on your days off.