Dose at 200?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Sandjules & Mama Cat, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Sandjules & Mama Cat Member

Mama Cat has had a some strange numbers the last couple of days. She started at 64 before her shot Saturday morning (so no shot obviously), then gradually climbed during the day up to 95 before dinner (no shot obviously), then woke to 180 before breakfast today (I still opted to skip the shot). Now she's up to 200 before food and before shot. Any other day with this low number I probably would not have haven given her a shot, but wondering if after not having insulin for 3 times, should I at least give her a smaller dose?

Thanks.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

It's really important to get pre-shot tests before every shot and even more so now that Mama Cat's BG seems to be coming down. Normal BG on your AT2 meter is 68 to 150 and yesterday's pre-shot of 64 was too low. Given that low BG yesterday morning, and the fact that BG is lower tonight than any previous pre-shot tests you've taken, I'd suggest you skip tonight and if BG is over 225 tomorrow AM, try a dose of 1u but get a +2 or +3 test tomorrow if you give insulin. Because you don't have pre-shots for a lot of days, it's impossible to be sure what is a safe dose for Mama Cat going forward so better to decrease to 1u and if necessary you can increase later.

3. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Sandjules & Mama Cat Member

I agree, thanks. I had gotten complacent since she was holding steady in her behaviors. Obviously I need to at least do some pre-shot tests a few times a week. It was just pure chance that I decided to test yesterday because of how she was acting.

Thanks as always for your advice.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

It's very very important to do pre-shot tests before EVERY shot...not just several times a week. Shooting without knowing it's safe to do so, is very dangerous especially knowing Mama Cat has gone too low on at least one occasion. It may have happened before and repeated episodes of low BG can be harmful. Not all cats show outward signs of hypoglycemia before it becomes critical and life threatening so pre-shots and some mid cycle testing are critical to keeping Mama Cat safe.