Dose change, help - advice please!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HeatherHJ, Feb 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeatherHJ

HeatherHJ New Member

I recently emailed my vet with Wilson's bg spreadsheet, and based on his relatively lower numbers she suggested 0.5U of the vetsulin he's been on. (I know it's not the best insulin for cats, but I'm going to use what I have then ask her to prescribe something better) After only one day on 0.5U his numbers have gone way up! I'm thinking going up to 1U. What do you think? Thank you!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...iQNOZ_xI2IhYOgn4W5j74lyQ0l4/edit?usp=drivesdk

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Don't let one day make you panic! The recommendation for Vetsulin is to hold the dose for about 5 days to give the cat time to adjust. So as long as your preshot is above 200, I'd give the full 0.5U. Give it 5 days or so then do a curve so we can see what's happening mid-cycle around nadir (of course, more mid-cycle tests never hurt!). We do dose changes in 0.25U increments.

As always, dropping below 90 any time is an immediate 0.25U reduction.

If your preshot is lower than 200, do what you've been doing - reduced or token doses.

Your remarks say he got some dry food, that will elevate his numbers a bit and take a bit of time to come back down on a 0.5U dose. But overall I expect 0.5U to be a good dose for you.

I'd suggest testing for ketones as well. The doses have been all over the place (as needed, I'm not saying you did anything wrong), and coming from 2U to 0.5U is pretty big change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.