Dose change needed or fluke?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Joelle & Ollie, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Joelle & Ollie

Joelle & Ollie Member

Ollie was diagnosed on the 13th and has been carefully switched over to low-carb fancy feast after a DKA scare. He's currently on 1.5 units of vetsulin!

I have a question about his current dose. He's been doing well on this dose since he came home. He's been eating and drinking fine, getting his daily ketone tests (Low on Monday, trace on Tuesday, and negative yesterday!). His pre-shots have been stuck in the high 300's, low 400's since he came home, but slowly dropping off (why I never upped his dose, figured the ketone flushing and making sure he was eating/getting his insulin was more important than worrying about reds/purples for right now plus didn't want him to go hypoglycemic while switching to the low-carb) but his AMPS was 187! He ate overnight, so I know it's not from not eating... Is this just a fluke or what? I'm checking his blood sugar again in a couple of minutes to make sure it's rising and not falling before I feed, but I wanted to know if I should lower his dose this morning to see if that does anything? I don't want to send him to the vet's office again, but I also don't want to completely skip his insulin due to his ketone spike right after diagnosis.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I answered on your other thread. Breathe! This is really stressful at the start but you'll be fine and you have a lot of us here to help. :)