dose or no dose?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Adro & Harry & FinnFinn, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Adro & Harry & FinnFinn

Adro & Harry & FinnFinn New Member

Hello Everyone,

UPDATE: I just tested via Relion Prime - his number is 90. Dose or no dose?

I posted on this forum a while ago and have been observing throughout the process of my cat, Harry's diagnosis. I was finally able to do a glucose curve with the Relion Prime meter. yesterday. It took me months to be able to do this with him. On the first try, I had noticed that I purchased the wrong strips. Anyway, my cat is a very temperamental cat and it has been a struggle to get any numbers out of him. When I was actually able to get some numbers, I was surprised and a little worried as to what I should do. His numbers have been pretty consistent (for the past day, other than him stressing out with a test in the morning). They have ranged between 70 - 96. Should I still give him a shot or hold? I skipped his shots yesterday to see what his numbers would be and I was nervous it would be a bad idea if I gave it to him.

Here is a little bit of the history of this journey:

Harry was diagnosed with Diabetes in Aug. 2020 - he was on dry food at this time but was acting really "out of it" (he is 13yrs old) all of a sudden. We took him to the vet (he psychically knows this is happening and it's like a Game of Thrones episode trying to get him in the carrier. The vet had a difficult time diagnosing him because, well, Harry is very stubborn and can be "difficult". Vet checked his levels and blood to find that he had diabetes (his number was at 275 - 300). We got Prozinc, syringes, and some crappy cat food (I don't know WHY they suggest Royal Canin canned cat food for diabetic cats). We were told to give him 1 unit twice a day. I got rid of all of our dry food and put him on a diet of Ziwi canned food and Purebites treats (found this recommendation through Cat Info :) ) Again, it was a Game of Thrones episode every day for about a month. Harry easily took to the food. We took him back to the Vet but the vet couldn't do anything because Harry refused to cooperate. I tried a few weeks later, his vitals were still in the 200s. The vet didn't suggest more or less insulin.

We have been pretty diligent with the insulin BUT I noticed that after I had changed his diet to Ziwi, both of my cat's fur became soft and shiny, eyes are clear, no allergies, tons of energy...etc. I decided that I wanted to see if Harry even needed insulin due to the diet change, etc. I also know that if we take him to the ver to get a glucose curve - it will be bad because of Harry's stress levels.

I don't know what to do with these normal numbers. Do I continue to give him the insulin? Do I hold back to see what happens? I don't want to overdo it. I just started testing and hope to do it often. I researched through the forums but it appears that everyone's journey is different. Any advice or guidance would be helpful.

So sorry for my long story!!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Reason for edit: update
  2. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

3. Adro & Harry & FinnFinn

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

How long ago was the food change? Do you withhold food 2 hrs prior to preshots?

Any history of ketones or DKA?

Did he by chance have any steroids before bring diagnosed?

Since you don't have much data yet, I personally would not give any insulin if the preshot is lower than 200.

5. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Sorry for the quick short reply above - was in the middle of painting a hallway and just happened to catch your post when I took a quick break and seen you were still waiting for a reply. :)

That 90 is too low to be giving your cat insulin.

A BG range of 50 mg/dL to 120 mg/dL is the normal range for a non-diabetic cat or a cat in remission (diet controlled).

I recommend you continue to test at your normal AMPS and PMPS times every day and for now I wouldn't give insulin if he's <200.

If BG levels are in the blue color range at the pre-shot test times, then test again at +3 to +4. If the numbers go down, it means his body is producing some insulin on it's own.

If the numbers start creeping up, post and we can have a discussion on how to proceed.

PS - The Prozinc ISG can be pretty quiet at times. If you ever need immediate help please post in Feline Health (Welcome and Main) to get more eyes on your post.

6. Adro & Harry & FinnFinn

QUOTE="FrostD, post: 2779206, member: 30207"How long ago was the food change? Do you withhold food 2 hrs prior to preshots?

The food change was about a month after he was diagnosed. I had done tons of research and tried a bunch until he settled on Ziwi. I have 2 cats and had to get them to agree - Ziwi one. I swear by it now.

Any history of ketones or DKA?

No.

Did he by chance have any steroids before bring diagnosed?

No.

Since you don't have much data yet, I personally would not give any insulin if the preshot is lower than 200.[/QUOTE]

Holly and Sunny Bear likes this.