Dosing advice after hypo event yesterday

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Whitney and Jonas, Jul 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Hi everyone, I’m back on very little sleep but Jonas is okay so that’s all that matters. I woke up at 4:45AM just to check and he was 252 and I’ll be testing his AMPS in 10 minutes so I wanted to make this thread now. I am still wary of how strongly this new vial of Prozinc seems to be affecting him for some reason and yesterday was a very scary and long-lived event. I know @Deb & Wink had mentioned starting him at 1U today if he’s over 150 AMPS since he may be more sensitive after yesterday too.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I read through that entire thread-- whoo! What a night you guys had! You did great, it is so scary dealing with low numbers for the first time, but now you are a pro ;).

I am not a prozinc person, but I like the idea of 1.0U, especially with him only up in yellow after the day he had. We'll see what others say, and where he is at pre-shot, but I don't know that I'd adjust my opinion even if he's high at AMPS. Looking at your spreadsheet, it sure does look like there was a big change when you moved to the new vial, so we may have to treat this as starting fresh until we can figure out another explanation. Sometimes, even with the best care, vials do just go bad.

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Deb knows what shes talking about. Heck as chicken as I am...I'd consider going lower. BUT AGAIN Deb is the expert here not me.
    j

4. jt and trouble (GA)

Thanks Nan! lol I'm so chicken...I didnt remember her insulin could have gone "off"

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yes, as I said, I'm not a prozinc person, but Deb is, so I figured it was safe to jump in to give some support to Deb's recommendation!

6. jt and trouble (GA)

Yeah I agree.;)

7. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Thank you so so much ladies <3 he is at a gross 408 but honestly I feel so much more equipped to handle that then those 40s! He’s eating breakfast now and I think I feel comfortable with the 1U and a few checks throughout the day to see how he’s reacting. This was the first time he started a new vial since we began home testing, I wonder if something could’ve somehow gone wrong. I feel like an idiot for just thinking he was suddenly really rocking it.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Nan & Amber (GA)

Well, you never know ;). I mean, he could have been doing the thing our cats do when we buy several cases of their "favorite" food, "Aha, she just spent a bunch of money, well, I think I'll stop liking/needing that stuff so much!"

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Please, lets drop the dose way, way down.
    I recommend a maximum of 1U.
    Let's see where that takes Jonas's BG levels.

Please, make sure you mix the Prozinc vial, gently but thoroughly to get those insulin particles back into suspension in the liquid. Basic info I know, but never hurts to remind someone when they start a new vial (or draw up ANY dose) of the cloudy type insulins, that the vial contents must be mixed.

Whitney, if you don't feel comfortable giving Jonas even 1U of insulin, then you might try a bit less insulin.
    Such as 0.5U or 0.75U.
    Your choice. You hold the needle.

Whitney, you did absolutely frigging awesome yesterday with Jonas's hypo event.:) With a power outage too, in the middle of trying to deal with the hypo. You rock!!!!!

10. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Thank you so, so much Deb <3 and thank you everyone. I really can’t say how thankful I am, I don’t have the words. I am still numb thinking I could’ve lost him last night but here he is! Sorry for the delay, his new syringe was stubborn and kept getting an air bubble so I gave up and got another new one. I went ahead and went with 1U since I’ll be here all day and can get some tests in and keep an eye on him.

11. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

The power just came back around 7:30AM too, what a night. My Fitbit tells me I slept for a whopping 1 hour and 21 minutes :eek: I have to tend to some things around the house and make sure we didn’t get too much damage from the wind, it got up to 80MPH last night and a lot of stuff in the yard is tossed all over the place, then I’m gonna take a nice nap, hopefully Jonas will too. I forgot to add he ate a very nice amount of breakfast (Chopped Grill FF Pate) so that helped me feel better about the 1U, if he hadn’t been too hungry I probably would’ve held off.

12. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Ditto what @Deb & Wink said about mixing the insulin every time prior to drawing it up. My vet actually said the manufacturer recommended shaking it (haven’t read the insert to double check that and have never heard that before; I always just rolled it in my hands).
    EDITED TO ADD: Product insert says to roll the bottle gently before drawing dose.

And yes, I always monitored carefully when starting a new bottle.

NEW syringe? As in, a new batch of syringes?

I was just about to ask whether you got new syringes with the new insulin. If so, what is the wording on the syringe/package? I’m looking for something like “u-40 3/10cc 5/16 inch”. And if possible, look at the wording on the old syringe package and compare.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hey Whitney, what a night right, I hope you and Jonas take a long nap today, give that boy a kiss from me ok :bighug::cat:

14. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Sorry, I probably worded it weird, I am a zombie. I use a new syringe on him each day, it’s not a new batch and they haven’t changed, I’ve been using this same type since he became diabetic years ago. They are Monoject U40 1/2 Ml, 29G x 1/2

I have done tests on him at +4 and +8 in between lots of naps for us both, he’s staying in the high 300s but compared to yesterday I am relieved. He acts great and I’m so proud of him :) I can’t wait to get him back on track but without scary lows. I will definitely be way more aware next time we open a new vial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.