? Dosing advice and general help

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Chloe007, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Nice, sounds like a good time! I had a quiet night in with Chloe, Oscar and their sister Minnie for xmas, it still felt too soon to leave Chloe and if I'm being honest with myself, I didn't mind the excuse to stay home haha. I'm usually working the bar on New Years Eve but took it off this year since I missed xmas, so I'll have my fun then instead! I'll increase Oscar tonight and let you know in a couple days what happens unless something important happens beforehand. Hopefully some progress is made soon...I am really not liking how high this dose is becoming!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Sometimes the dose has to go up before it comes down so just hold the course.

Glad you could spend some time with Chloe, Oscar and Minnie. It's kind of nice to have a day to just cuddle kitties and take a break.

Have a great New Year celebration.

3. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Despite one blue preshot we got yesterday (which I think was heavily influenced by him throwing up his dry food earlier that day after eating too fast) he's been way too high. I increased him to 4.25 last night, just wanted to keep you in the loop. Also decided with his vet that we will be switching to Lantus after we're done with this vial, mostly just for cost reasons now that this dose is getting high, I don't want to be wasting any insulin. I've heard before that Lantus is more expensive than Prozinc but after doing some math, when you account for how much potential wasted Prozinc you end up with, it seems more cost effective.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

Some of what you are seeing might be some bouncing but numbers are definitely staying high so I'm glad you increased Oscar's dose. If any of those high numbers are from bouncing, Lantus may help to smooth that out. Lantus seems more expensive up front but when you purchase the pens and can use up all the insulin, it really isn't any more expensive to use for most folks and in some cases more economical than ProZinc. You can order it from Canada at Marks Marine pharmacy at markedly reduced cost.

5. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Hey Linda, do you think you could take a look at Oscar's SS? I made a new thread earlier when I somehow couldn't find this one and tagged you, but I'm going to delete that now since I just found this haha.

Basically after his last increase to 4.5u, I'm seeing quite a bit of bouncing and wondering what I can do to encourage the blue numbers but stop them from going black the following morning.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

You may be seeing bouncing into black but you also got some blues YEAH! which is a sign you are getting closer to the dose needed to get Oscar into some better numbers. Bouncing happens and it's not something you can control. As Oscar gets more used to those lower numbers the bouncing should decrease. It's one of the most frustrating and annoying things about dealing with these furry critters. Bounces happen when BG drops quickly, drops a lot or down to levels kitty is not used to any more and that is relative when kitty has been sitting in high BG range for awhile. Today Oscar dropped roughly 130 points in 2 hours. That's a big drop for 2 hours and will likely set off another bounce. You can't control the drop or how quickly it occurs so just be patient.

7. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Yeah I admit I was pretty excited to see those blues! But I've been finding myself getting nervous (probably not warranted) and leaving MC food out while I'm at work...I know I need to stop this. It didn't appear that he bounced very much after that drop yesterday, so that's good, right? But I didn't catch him in lower numbers throughout last night either, so I'm wondering if I should raise his dose tonight? I'll be home to monitor him until Sunday.

8. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom

I went ahead and increased Oscar this evening to 4.75, didn't want to risk the progress we've made by keeping him at the same dose for too long (with high numbers). Hopefully you agree, I'll be home to monitor him until Sunday.

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

The dose increase is fine. And you're right....it doesn't look like he bounced from any lows last night.

10. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

We had a beautiful cycle (for us) last night Linda, we're bouncing hard today though (woke up with HI on the meter). Just wanted to let you know about our exciting blue streak last night!

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

WHOO HOO! Go Oscar! Nice to see those blues. That HI this AM was just a bounce so no worries....this too shall pass. Oscar has to get used to those kovely blue readings again.

12. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom

Linda, I was just skimming through the board when I came across a post about your baby crossing the rainbow bridge the other day. I am so very sorry, you're in my thoughts and prayers today :rb_icon:
    I hope you're doing well. I know this must be hard. I think I should let you know how appreciative I (and I'm sure all of us) are of what you do for all of us and our kitties.
    cat_wings>o