Dosing advice needed soon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kirsten ACG, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirsten ACG

Kirsten ACG Member

My cat has had up and down BG numbers after a hypo event 9/5. She was just at the vet Wednesday who asked me to put her back up to 3 units at that time. I held through yesterday at 2.75 and just went from 2.75 to 3 units today after yesterday’s curve. I am nervous that her PMPS is low. I took it twice: 176, 187. Should I give her 3 units tonight?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14Z9pUb5YFcvIfPcspfXAwLDVNFf11JNosYtSNVMO8xE/edit

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

As long as you have plenty of supplies and can test as long as may be necessary, you should plan on shooting anything over 150. As you gain more confidence and experience, that number goes down even further.

If you shot the 3U tonight, I'd get a +1 and +2 to start with

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Kirsten ACG

Kirsten ACG Member

Thanks so much! I did 3U and she’s at 188 +1. Thank you for helping us

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

6. Kirsten ACG

Kirsten ACG Member

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Kristen when you get a chance please add SLGS to your signature, and color your PMPS green :cat:
    Kristen if no one replies I would skip tonight, that number is too low using a pet meter
    I don't feel comfortable and not that experienced with giving advice on dosing
    But since no one is on board I would skip. You can put NS in the unit column

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  9. Kirsten ACG

Kirsten ACG Member

Thank you for your help. I was going skip unless someone experienced came in and said otherwise.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

I didn't do much but you're welcome :cat:

11. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Just seeing the tag.

With SLGS you can shoot any number over 90, provided you can monitor. I know you are an hour past your shot time, but if you can adjust your schedule to accomodate delay, you can still shoot.
    She has earned a reduction to 2.75 with that diip below 90. So your new dose going forward is 2.75U

Next time you get a number below 90, stall without feeding and test again in 20 mins. If the number rises over 90, it is safe to shoot - provided you can monitor.

Since you are using Lantus, you would get more eyes on your posts on the Lantus forum.

12. Kirsten ACG

Kirsten ACG Member

Thanks, good to know about the Lantus forum. I did stall without feeding for 20 minutes and she was at 81. I didn’t shoot and hopefully everything will be okay. Thank you for your help.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  13. Bandit's Mom

14. Kirsten ACG

Kirsten ACG Member

I have to keep reading up but SLGS is only done if there is dry food in the picture? I have dr elseys dry on hand that I sometimes give to my cat, but not that much at all. She could likely go without it completely. I just generally need to have a lot of food choices on hand because she has GI lymphoma and is not always the best eater and/or is picky. If she only eats wet I do a different dosing protocol?

15. Bandit's Mom

Yes, if you give dry food, you have to follow SLGS. With SLGS, you hold a dose for 7 days (unless a reduction is earned). You decrease the dose when the BG falls below 90 mg/dl. The aim of this protocol is to keep the cat in the 90-150 range. This is more suited for caregivers who can't test as much as TR requires. You do a weekly curve with SLGS.

TR is a more aggressive protocol with increases as often as every 3-5 days. Reductions are earned when the BG falls below 50 mg/dl (on a human meter, 68 mg/dl on a oet meter). The aim is to keep the cat in the range of 50-100 (which is the normal BG range for cats on a human meter). To follow TR, you would need to get at least one more test per cycle in addition to the pre-shot one i.e. 2 tests per cycle or 4 tests per day. You would also need to be feeding only LC canned food and no dry food.

16. Kirsten ACG

Kirsten ACG Member

Thank you so much for the explanation. I should prob stick with SLGS

Bandit's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.