Dosing advice needed!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Inky's Mommy, Oct 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

Inky's numbers have been green and blue the past few days. She was initially prescribed 1.5 units of Lantus in conjunction with changing her diet to low carb wet food. I gave her 0.5 units yesterday morning and skipped her shot last night. Her AMPS this morning is 90. Should I skip her dose again?

Previous thread with more background information: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-member-in-need-of-advice.253721/

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would suggest re-testing in 20 - 30 min and see where Inky's numbers are. Can you post after you re-test?

3. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

It's been about 20 minutes since the first test. Test just now showed BG of 89. I free feed her wet food and she hadn't eaten much yesterday or since last night. I'll test again in 30 minutes.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sounds good. Please remember that if you shoot, your next shot will be due in 12-hours. Will you be able to be off schedule?

5. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

6. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

BG increased to 116.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

It looks like you skipped.

I apologize, I got distracted with a few other things.

8. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

It's alright. Life happens. I may ask for advice again this evening.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Do you know how to tag members? If you type the "@" sign and start typing the member's name, it will pull up a list of similar names. Click on the member you want. By tagging someone, it puts a message in their Alerts (look at the top right of of the menu bar (your user name, Conversations, and Alerts are all there). By tagging someone, they will know you have a question.

10. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Is there any chance that Inky doesn't like the LID Duck? It looks like she's been off her food since you started feeding her duck. Would you consider trying a different novel protein?

My only observation is that you shot a 77on 9/24. I know you're concerned that Inky isn't eating all that well. How much is she actually eating?

12. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

She does like the duck. She'd been eating Royal Canin duck before I accidentally bought the rabbit instead. Luckily, she liked both. I believe the issue I'm having is that I leave the entire can out, since I free feed her, and it dries out. I put it on the coffee table earlier and she tried to stick her nose in, so I know she's hungry now and wants to eat.

13. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

BG is now 101. I haven't fed her yet. I'm guesstimating that she's eaten 2 ounces out of a 5.5 ounce can today.

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

How far past shot time are you?

Do you add water to her food? If you add water, it will stay fresher/not dry out. You also may want to consider putting her food out in smaller quantities and replenishing the dish if that will work for your schedule. Alternatively, you might want to think about a timed feeder.

15. Inky's Mommy

Inky's Mommy New Member

It's around shot time right now. I haven't tried adding water before but I can do that. Thank you for the suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.