Dosing advice pls, numbers remain high

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ceci&Mati, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Ceci&Mati

Ceci&Mati New Member

Hello everyone. I have tried to be more consistent in the tests whenever I can, because when Mati sees me with the meter he runs. I am following the TR method increasing every 3 days, because I understand that you have to speed up to get Mati out of the red and black numbers. I thought I was finally starting to see progress on 11/23 seeing a 274 but nothing, we are still in red and black again. What am I doing wrong? Should I increase the dose again? I don't see anything that makes me think that Mati is lowering his numbers. Keep drinking and pissing liters, I'm really desperate. The good side is that there are no ketones and he continues to eat well.

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Ceci, I'm kind of a newbie here so I can't advise you on dosing, but I feel your frustration. There's only one word for what's required here: patience. This is what I tell myself every day. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. :bighug:

After 6 weeks of home BG testing and scabby ears and generally :nailbiting::woot::mad::blackeye::arghh: everyday, I finally got the pricking technique down and it's much less stressful for us now--I can poke Ruby all day long and she doesn't mind anymore. The most common tips are really warming the ear with a sock full of rice, treats before and after poking, using Neosporin ointment to help the blood to pool and the skin to heal, and lots and lots of sweet talk and petting. Sometimes I sing while I do it, which seems to calm her and me. Most people here seem to use the lancets freehand, but what saved me was figuring out how to use the lancing device that comes with all meters because I couldn't poke her fast enough and she would flick her ear with the needle on it, causing bad cuts. The device does a quick poke and doesn't go very deep, giving a nice drop of blood, leaving no marks on her cute little ears. I love this testing video posted on the forum starring Peanut. I don't think Ruby will ever LOVE BG testing, but at least now I feel like I'm not hurting her or our precious bond. Good luck.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you are following TR and increasing every 3 days, you really do need to get a second test in every night. Even a +2 or +3 is good enough to tell us what is happening that cycle. TR is an aggressive protocol, but can be done safely if you have the data to know how low the dose is taking Mati. With missing data in certain cycles, we don't know what the nadirs look like.

Having said that, and you've been on this dose for more than 6 cycles, I think you'd be fine increasing to 3.0 units.

4. Ceci&Mati

Ceci&Mati New Member

The video is so helpful! It makes it so easy! I'm going to try, something Mati and I hate since his diagnosis two years ago is testing :banghead:. Now he has scabs and little bruises, I feel like he hates me for the punctures :(. I used to heat water in a small plastic bottle to warm his ears, although that little bag seems to be more comfortable and effective.
    Thanks for the tips!

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  5. Ceci&Mati

Ceci&Mati New Member

Thank you! I will definitely do my best to do more night testing. The tests have been torture for both of us, although each time we manage better. Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed to see such high numbers ...

6. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I love the video! Peanut is so cute. :cat:

Trust me, the testing is my least favorite aspect of caring for Ruby's diabetes! :p I hate needles and the sight of blood and I am so concerned about hurting her, but I know that in the long run it's all for the sake of her well-being. I am sure Mati loves you very much, but there are ways we can make this a less stressful experience for you both. The little sock filled with rice works really well. I massage Ruby's head and chin and stroke it along her body as well as rubbing it on her ears to make the blood flow. I think it's the part of the testing that she loves the most, as she is never interested in treats. Once I was able to master this along with using the lancing device, her ears have been healing and I have been able to get more tests (even while very sleepy at 2 o'clock in the morning). I now have a better picture of the effect the insulin is having on her.

If I can do this you can, too. Don't lose faith! You can do it! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ceci&Mati likes this.