? Dosing advice required

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Suzy65, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Suzy65

Suzy65 New Member

Alfie has not been stable since being diagnosed at the beginning of the month. Started on just 0.25u prozinc then raised to 0.75. Did home testing on Sunday every 2 hours to report back to vet. Having technical issues with copying spreadsheet template so can't share this. Basically, his bloods, albeit they way too high, showed a nice curve.
    Preshot 504
    +2. 405
    +4. 298
    +6. 292
    +8. 370
    +10. 436
    +12. 430

Really thought we were getting somewhere when the vet said just to put him up to 1.25u and do another curve the following Sunday ( can't usually do midweek due to work).
    However, after this increase of 0.5u Monday evening, he was really unsettled, flooding and pooping in the kitchen all night. He was bad all day yesterday, and starving hungry. I did his blood and at 10 25pm last night (shot at 6 30pm), he was 473.
    Thinking this may be as a result of too much of an insulin rise, I gave him just 1u this morning after he'd eaten half of his breakfast. He didn't eat it all in one go which is so unusual for him but had after about an hour and a half. He was also slow to eat his snack 4 hours later. His blood was 491 preshot this morning and still 482 at +6hrs then 470 at +8.
    Haven't been able to do full curve today due to commitments but am frustrated and wondering why he's higher than ever! He ate his 8 hour snack hungrily and would eat more if allowed. His snacks are just protein, cooked chicken, fish and beef and he eats every 4 hours. Can't allow free feeding or he would gobble til he vomited! Sorry for this very long post but I'm wondering how much prozinc to give this evening?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

@Chris & China, can you help with the spreadsheet?

You don't need to do full curves very often. Getting random mid-cycle tests whenever you can is super helpful.

The ravenous eating could be caused from him going too low. Cats will eat like crazy to bring their numbers back up. Or it could be caused by being in high numbers. When the BG (blood glucose) is too high, their bodies can't use the nutrients efficiently and they start losing weight and feel/act like they are starving, because in a way they are.

How is his weight? Is he over or under a healthy weight? Has he been gaining or losing? If he's too skinny, it's okay to give him more food than normal right now to help keep weight on him and make him feel better.

After you get the spreadsheet up, we you make some adjustments to the dosing. Hopefully Chris will see this soon and be able to help you with that!

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I can sure try!!

@Suzy65 ...click on my name and choose "start conversation" and I'll see if I can help you with the spreadsheet