Dosing advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by KimH, Dec 19, 2021.

1. KimH

KimH Member

I'm not sure if I'm making a mistake by adjusting Denny's doses. His PMPS numbers are always high even though he's on the same feeding cycle every 12 hours. I also lowered his AM dose today since he tested at 185 this morning. I feel so lost and now I am reading that I should be keeping the same dosages (day and night?) For several days. He was bouncing for a few days but still can't seem to break those pmps highs. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes, you should be holding the same dose for at least 3 days or until a bounce clears. Depending on the dosing method you'd like to follow/what his diet it is, may need to hold the dose for a week. Here is a link to the dosing methods: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/

Dose is based on nadir, not preshot. The only time you change dose based on preshot is if you get a lower preshot than usual, you may need to do a one-time smaller dose. And you should only increase once you're pretty sure what nadir is - in your case you don't have quite enough data yet to have increased to 1.25U. You would either have to get a variety of tests over the course of a few days, or a curve like you did previously.

Be patient. It will take him awhile to settle down.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  3. KimH

KimH Member

Thank you. Based on this, it seems that his starting dose should be .5 instead of 1 unit since he's on low carb/canned food only. I'm probably focusing too much on the preshot highs (back to 503 this morning ). Do you suggest holding the 1 unit anyway despite the wet food diet?

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I suspect the 1U may be a little high and contributing to the bouncing, but cannot say for sure yet. You could try 0.75U if that makes you more comfortable. I would not go down to 0.5U.

Any history of ketones or DKA?

5. KimH

KimH Member

No history of ketones of DKA. He was diagnosed when we took him last month for a UTI. UTI and antibiotics are done. He did recently also come off of amitriptyline. He had originally been on it for a few months because he was depositing his #2s outside of the litter box. That issue has resolved with the new diet. I've read that amitriptyline can affect BG so maybe coming off of it does as well. His last dose was 4-5 days ago. Behaviorally, he does not seem anxious at all. He's been very happy and playful all week.

FrostD likes this.