Dosing and monitoring of Toby

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hailey K, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Deb & Wink and Critter Mom like this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Hailey,

Glad to see Deb gave you some good input on dosing yestereve. You're doing great on the home testing. :cool:

Mogs

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Gosh you and me both Mogs ! It will be an all day adventure again today but hopefully we can sneak out of the house to go check out some human meters.

4. Critter Mom

Go wild in the aisles! :D

Mogs

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

I was calculating it out.. here in Canada the AT2 strips are 2$ a piece! It’s madness, switching to a human meter it will be around 80 cents per strip... big difference!

6. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Picked up a human meter. Should I finish this cycle with the AT2 just to keep things simple ?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

Definitely a good plan.

Mogs

Deb & Wink and Hailey K like this.
  8. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

He’s definitely not dropping much today and numbers are staying quite high. Is it possible that it just takes a few days when coming down so much in a dose or is that he needs a higher dose ?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

He might be bouncing off yesterday's AM cycle - he dropped over 300 points down to a nadir just over 100. It can take up to 6 cycles for a bounce to clear, during which times numbers may be on the high side. If it is a bounce, you just need to wait it out.

Mogs

10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

As Mogs said, wait it out.

Let's see what Toby does on the lower 2.25U dose for a few days. Then it's time to reevaluate.
    The high carb food is keeping him higher too.
    A little soon to change the food up, in my opinion.
    Does Toby FEEL ok? We talk about the 5 P's (peeing, pooping, purring, preening, playing) and appetite. So how is he doing on all those factors? Think of it as a handy quick assessment you can do, beyond the BG testing.

If you could pick up some ketone test strips, that's good to test his urine for ketones.

p.s. Thanks for starting the new thread.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

All of those things he seems totally fine, normal self. I just picked up a human meter today but still testing with AT2 for today. Tomorrow morning I will switch to the human meter if that’s ok since I’m running pretty low on the strips for the AT2. I just did his 10+ and did a test with both the AT2 and the human meter just to make sure I had everything set up for the morning. Still filling in the spread sheet based on AT2 number but his number on the human meter read 15.7 compared to the 20.9 on AT2, quite the difference !

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Started with the human meter today. Just want to be clear when I go home to check at 6+ what are my safe numbers now that I’m using the human meter? Or are they still the same numbers when using the AT2 ?

Critter Mom and Deb & Wink like this.
  13. Deb & Wink

Safe numbers are the same except for the low number. With the AT2, anything <68 needs intervention with food. With a human meter, anything < 50 needs intervention with food.

Hailey K and Critter Mom like this.
  14. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Since I will eventually be stopping the HC dry food would it be a good idea to pick up some Dr elseys now and begin mixing them together or should I continue to hold off any other changes for now ?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  15. Deb & Wink

Yes, go ahead and pickup some Dr Elsey's chicken flavor dry food.

When you do the food change, depends on what your schedule looks like, and how often you can test.
    So what does your work schedule look like?

If you can, I'd feed him more of the Friskies pate, and less of the dry food. If he'll eat more of the Friskies that is. We suggested you cut the dose in half, and you did that. So it could be safer now to feed him less dry food, and more of the low carb wet.

If Toby were my cat, I'd want to monitor more during that food transition. For example, I'd want to test later in the PM, around the +4 time if I could.

Critter Mom likes this.
  16. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

My work schedule is the same mon-fri every week. It doesn’t change, so I’m only able to do the 6+ test during the day. Maybe I will look at doing the switch this weekend when I can be home with him all day. I’ll pick some up and start mixing this week so their tummy’s can adjust and I will also start to incorporate some canned food at the 6+ hour so hopefully he will be getting less of the dry food.

17. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Just jumping on here to ask a question. I switched Toby to friskies pate and dr elseys, no more of his high carb dry food, I made the switch on Saturday. How long can it take before I start to see some improvement of his numbers ? I didn’t expect to see a miracle right away, but thought I’d see some slight improvement. How long before I would need to consider increasing his dose again ?

18. Deb & Wink

If the food switch is complete, usually you will see better numbers within a week of the food change being finished.

Even though it hasn't been that long for Toby, I think you have held the 2.25U dose for long enough. Please increase the dose to 2.5U with the next cycle.

19. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

I’ll be sure to do that! Appreciate it Deb. The quarter doses are quite complicated lol

Deb & Wink likes this.
  20. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Another question, Toby’s AMPS today are the same as his 6+, why would this happen? I noticed it did this a couple weeks ago also just the one day.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  21. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

A flat yellow cycle, sometimes means an active cycle coming up, at least with Lantus and Levemir. I would recommend getting a couple of PM tests tonight, and maybe an extra test or two tomorrow during the day if you can.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  22. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

I will do that, thank you! And what does active cycle mean ?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  23. Deb & Wink

It means that your cat may drop lower than expected during the cycle, and you may need to monitor more, and even intervene with some food.

Flat yellow cycles can mean the same with Prozinc. That your cat is getting ready to clear a bounce, and come back down to some more normal numbers. You may even see some real lows coming up in the next cycle.

24. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Well let’s hope for another step in the right direction ! Thanks so much. His PMPS was back to his higher “normal Range” at 19.3

Deb & Wink likes this.
  25. Deb & Wink

I think you are going to need to increase the dose again very soon. Up by another 0.25U.
    So Toby's dose would be 2.75U.

Is he still eating the Orijen dry food? Would you please update your User Id Signature to remove that. We'd much rather see what he is eating on the SS, in the Remarks column.

26. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

He is totally off Orijen food now. I will update that. When should I start him at the 2.75 ? Tomorrow morning ?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  27. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

We kept Toby at 2.5 this morning. He was 16.4. We will see where he is at 6+

28. Deb & Wink

My recommendation would be to increase on the next cycle where you can monitor.

29. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Toby seems a little all over the place still at 2.5. I will be able to monitor him closely this coming weekend, should I stick with only increasing him to 2.75 or would I be able to go right to 3 units ?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  30. Deb & Wink

Prozinc SLGS dosing method says to only increase the dose by 0.25U if the nadirs are >150.
    Sticky PROZINC DOSING METHODS

The issue I see is that you have almost no data for the PM cycle, except for the pre-shot test. So you really don't know how low the dose takes Toby in the PM cycle. Without having that information, increasing the dose too much could drop Toby too low.

31. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Are their numbers prone to going lower in the PM ? In the last few days I noticed not much of a change in numbers at his 6+ so it’s making me feel like he’s getting used to the dose again. It’s like at first he seems to do better on a lower dose but then in a week it goes back to the same or starts getting worse again. I’m worried next thing you know we are going to be right back up to giving 5 units of insulin after starting all over again. It’s making me loose a little bit of hope of becoming regular. I’ll start at the 2.75 then. Only thing I can get from him after PMPS would be a 2 or 3+ and I don’t know how much that will really show since he would still have access to his food and isn’t really close to his nadir, seems like every time we do a 2+ test it’s usually higher than his PMPS or AMPS

Deb & Wink likes this.
  32. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Is dr elseys salmon flavour okay temporarily ? My local
    Store is out of chicken and I would have to travel quite a way for the chicken

Deb & Wink likes this.
  33. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Correction, nobody even within a 2 hour distance has any so it’s going to have to do to go along with his friskies pate.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  34. Deb & Wink

No, the salmon flavor of Dr Elseys is too high in carbs 11-13% for the dry kibble.
    I just used this calculator, and replied in Peeka's thread a couple of minutes ago. Talk about serendipity.

http://www.scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html

Yes.
    Cats are usually more active at night, so they use more energy and that uses up more of the glucose.

35. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

I tried to go back on some posts on Facebook and some said it was 9% so I thought it was okay, luckily I haven’t given him any yet. We have a problem, I’ve checked everywhere in our province, everyone is sold out, Amazon as well and even right on Dr. elseys website... my Plan B is just to give more cans of food and have him strictly on the friskies pate until a store gets more in stock. Thankfully I had just picked up a small bag of the salmon and it was 50% off so not much of a lose.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  36. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Every post I can find on FD Facebook page is everyone saying it’s 9 something percent. So not sure if that calculator your using is off by chance ? But still I don’t think it’s worth it to take the chance especially when we are trying to get regulated... we definitely DO NOT need another step in the wrong direction. I will scrap the salmon and stick to only the friskies pate until some of the chicken flavour becomes available again. Thanks Deb ! As of late Toby is still a bit all over the place, this coming weekend should I increase again if things don’t get better by then ?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  37. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Toby has gone down to 8.5 for his 6+ ... it’s making me wonder if it’s due to the increase in dose or starting to think perhaps the dr elseys dry food was playing a role in the higher numbers? He hasn’t had any dry food now for 2 days.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  38. Deb & Wink

A nice BLUE BG at mid-cycle for Toby today.
    Yes, the dry food could be playing a role in Toby's higher numbers.
    Although many people like to feed that Dr. Elsey's, I've read of other people seeing a difference, an improvement in the BG numbers, once they cut that out of their cat's diet.

No, I don't think the carb calculator I used was inaccurate. It's one of the commonly used ones here.
    The Friskies pates are usually in the 7-10% carb range. The Mixed Grill flavor is on the high side.
    If Toby will eat the wet food, it's better for his body, to keep him hydrated with a wet food than a dry kibble.
    Cats have a low thirst drive, so wet food works so much better for them.

Let's not "count our chickens before they have hatched." It's better to see where Toby's BG levels go with this diet change.

Don't be surprised if he bounces at PMPS. His body isn't used to those low blue BG numbers.

39. Deb & Wink

A nice BLUE BG at mid-cycle for Toby today.
    Yes, the dry food could be playing a role in Toby's higher numbers.
    Although many people like to feed that Dr. Elsey's, I've read of other people seeing a difference, an improvement in the BG numbers, once they cut that out of their cat's diet.

No, I don't think the carb calculator I used was inaccurate. It's one of the commonly used ones here.
    The Friskies pates are usually in the 7-10% carb range. The Mixed Grill flavor is on the high side.
    If Toby will eat the wet food, it's better for his body, to keep him hydrated with a wet food than a dry kibble.
    Cats have a low thirst drive, so wet food works so much better for them.

Let's not "count our chickens before they have hatched." It's better to see where Toby's BG levels go with this diet change.

Don't be surprised if he bounces at PMPS. His body isn't used to those low blue BG numbers.

You really do need to try and get some more PM BG readings too. Without those, you only see half the data.

40. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Good to know about the carb calculator I will save that one for future use, thank you ! I will be checking Toby in the next 45 minutes so I will come back here with an update! Fingers crossed he is back up and hasn’t dropped any lower.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  41. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

23.1 now! Poor guy lol

Deb & Wink likes this.
  42. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

I will work on getting more PM data! Probably would only be about a 3+ but better than nothing !

Deb & Wink and Dyana like this.
  43. Deb & Wink

All data is good data.

44. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Please tell me I did the right thing by giving Toby his full dose tonight. He was at 225, I will be able to stay up later to monitor him more closely.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  45. Deb & Wink

Be sure to get at least 1 more test before you head off to sleep.
    If you can manage 2 tests, perhaps by setting an alarm, that's even better.

Hailey K likes this.
  46. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

I will be sure to stay up probably at about 5+. Just incase, what number would I want to intervene with the higher carb wet food or potentially vet visit ? Is it below 50? Or am I mistaken ?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  47. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

I left Toby’s bottle of insulin out all night. Is it still okay or do I need new stuff now ?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  48. Deb & Wink

It's fine.

Yes, any number below 50 means higher carb food. Also, it depends on when in the cycle those lows occur. Early in the cycle, before onset or close to it, then more monitoring and support with food would be needed. It's knowing how your cat reacts to the insulin and when, that determines your next steps.

Looks to me like Toby could use an increase in dose. He's been at this 2.75U dose for 17 cycles, which is long enough to see if it's working for him.

He needs to be getting BG levels down in the lower blues and even the greens.

49. Hailey K

Hailey K Member

Sounds good, I will increase to 3 units, thanks Deb.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  50. Deb & Wink

Hailey, would you please create a new thread and link this old thread at the top of the new thread? We like to keep threads at 50 replies when we can.

Here's hoping the dose increase helps Toby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.