Dosing help

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Violingirlinto, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Violingirlinto

Violingirlinto New Member

Hello! Slightly urgent, as we've already started to give our sweet Luna her insulin. (Only one dose) We have started her one wet food, as of 2.5 days ago. Today, we fed her at 6:30, took her to the vet to learn how to give her insulin -- she would have been given a dose at 7:45? They told us to give her 2 units, twice a day, 1.5-2 hrs after eating. But now I'm reading here to start lower, especially on wet food. And how soon after? It's all quite perplexing, as it feels like I've got opposing information. I dont think our syringes even have a marker for anything less than 2 units....
    Thank you!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. FarmKitty

FarmKitty Member

I can't give advice on the dose timing, but do you have any info about what Luna's blood glucose level was when she was diagnosed? Did the vet test her BG level when you took her there? Or did you discover that she was diabetic from doing a blood/urine checkup? When Dixie was diagnosed, her glucose level was listed on the blood test results. That info will be helpful for others who can help!

Do you have a link to the syringes you are using? Or a picture of one of your syringes?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. FarmKitty

FarmKitty Member

@Deb & Wink do you have any advice?

Also, ProZinc only stays in the system for around 12 hours (sometimes a few hours more/less). So I think it is fine if you want to reduce her next dose if you feel uncomfortable with it. Then when you get some BG tests you can refer to the dosing method and increase the dose if necessary.

Do you only feed two meals a day? Or have you been feeding throughout the day? If you are worried about Luna's blood sugar levels dropping too low today then you could maybe feed her extra at +4 hours after the shot (or whenever you can).

I feel like she will be totally fine though. 2 units isn't that high in the grand scheme of things, and Luna is a freshly diagnosed diabetic so maybe her BG level is super high. Just in case, you can feed her that extra food. I mean, the vet recommended this dose to you after all! But if you want to be more cautious then I think going with the SLGS method could be a good idea. I had Dixie on 1.0 unit for 1 month before I started to test her. I wish I had tested her earlier, but it was kinda intimidating picking out the BG meter.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. FarmKitty

FarmKitty Member

Looks like the ProZinc forum is pretty dead right now (which was expected due to the holidays). How is Luna doing?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

We do encourage home testing, because it gives you a better idea of how the insulin is working for your cat Luna.

What wet food did you switch Luna to?