dosing help

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Becky Swift, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Becky Swift

Becky Swift Member

hi all
    My fur baby Dusty started this sugar dance Feb 14th 2021
    we started on Caninsulin then Prozinc and are now on Lantus
    He is still swinging alot. seemed to be hitting a good dose when i travelled to the cottage and his numbers were wonky again. Only giving Friskies pate. I have even gone to a new pen thinking maybe insulin compromised. Teeth done when on Prozinc. no ketones thank goodness.
    every time i go to do a curve he has a low number pre shot and i give a partial dose. chicken to shoot full at 6.1 i have not been able to stay on same dose for 10 days to do curve..
    Have had alot of stress at home losing my mom this summer after a fall.
    i use the bravo meter for testing and am in Canada. Any tips greatly appreciated

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome from the wet coast of Canada. :) Since you say "cottage" am I correct in guessing mid part of Canada?

Could you mark on your spreadsheet when you swapped insulins? Just insert a blank line and put something like "start Lantus" on that line.

By the way, reducing the dose because of rebounds never works, though there are some FB groups who suggest it.

I'd also recommend you review the dosing methods we use here and see which one would suit your lifestyle. Choice of dosing method impacts our dosing suggestions to you. Dosing Methods: Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) & Tight Regulation (TR)

You will see that both dosing methods use the low points or nadirs to determine how to change the dose. We don't change the dose based on preshot values. And curves, if following SLGS, are every 7 days, not 10.

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I would also put when you changed to Lantus in your signature and do what Wendy said above and how to do it on your spreadsheet when you switched to Lantus

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021