Drooler surgery tomorrow/Questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah and Buzz, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

This is cross-posted from Community but I know some of you guys here in PZI have droolers so I wanted to post it here as well. :)

Hi all! My 12 year old Lab is having surgery tomorrow, and I'm wondering if there is anything I need to ask/request or anything that I definitely don't want to happen/be given.

The surgery is to remove some growths on her eyelids (sort of like skin tags, not cancerous, although I guess we have to wait until the biopsy to know for sure) and most importantly, to extract a broken tooth. The vet said that she would not recommend the eye growths be removed (not worth the risk of anesthesia by themselves) but since Cassie needs her tooth extracted, she would go ahead and get them removed while already under.

I absolutely trust the vet, but I know there is a lot that goes into a kitty dental and I feel uninformed. I've done some research online but have only come up with the general "let your pet rest and watch her for signs of pain". Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

I would ask about what meds they are giving her for anesthesia and pain, and what post op pain meds she'll be on. Then you can at least get some good info on them. I'd also ask about specific foods that she'll be able to eat without pain and what treats might be nice for her to have that would be nice. I don't know if there's info, but there are some foods that speed up the healing process for humans, is there an equivalent for pups?

Just my 2 cents. You've got to be nervous, so I'll be sending out good vibes to your pup for tomorrows surgery.

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Your vet may already be planning on doing this, but I would make sure they are going to give Cassie fluids before, during and after the surgery. This can help protect the kidneys. I would also ask about what kind of pain meds they'll be giving. I know you don't want Rimadyl and you probably don't want Metacam either. Other than Tramadol, I don't know what other pain meds are available.

I'll be sending Cassie healing thoughts and prayers tomorrow. And try not to worry (fat chance, huh?) Sending you (((hugs))) too.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope everything goes great Sarah, and Cassie has a quick & easy recovery. I bet she'll feel a lot better once she's spiffed up, and you too!!! :YMHUG:

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Why do you say Metacam and Rimadyl are not satisfactory for dogs? They are not OK for dogs but are approved for and perfectly (if in good health) fine for dogs.

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry, Larry. I wasn't saying that those drugs are not okay for dogs. We have a dog on Rimadyl and we previously had one on Metacam and the both did fine. Sarah's Cassie had some side effects with Rimadyl a few months ago and she took her off of it. So I thought she might also be reluctant to use Metacam. I was just trying to give her some other alternatives.

7. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. :) I will definitely find out which meds they are giving and also check about the fluids. Good idea about the foods to speed healing, too.

And yep, Ele's right about the Rimadyl and Metacam, Larry. I would just prefer not to use those particular medications if others are available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.