? Drop protocol?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MamaMug, May 3, 2019.

1. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Gato had his checkup from last Tuesdays dental procedure (12 extractions) and o.k. pleased to report that he's healing well and without complications. Anticipated to have another week or so of healing, then we will have the dreaded dental variable effectively out of the way.

The vet may want to see us for fructosamine in a month or so, but we were otherwise discharged from regular follow ups unless something comes up. They seem to be confident in our handling of his insulin needs, which is a relief as having occasionally dissenting views from the vet gives me anxiety in a major way.

The next few weeks will tell, but I think that drop dosing until he levels out with consistent good numbers would be prudent. I want to make sure I'm setting him up for success.

Is there an actual drop dosing protocol? I feel like I have the hang of it in so far as drawing it in the syringe. I've not been doing a drop at 120 and under, but I've seen other spreadsheets doing drop at lower numbers. what would be a good no shoot number for him? I'm sure it may be something we need more data on to determine for our boy, and I hope to gather more this weekend.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Not really a protocol - you just follow the same guidelines as usual. You give a dose - in this case a drop - and then check how low it brings Gato mid-cycle - if he starts going too low, then you need to skip - if the mid-cycles are higher than you want, then you'd raise a little more - maybe 0.1u.

So glad that he's recovering well from the dental! That was a lot of teeth to lose all at once! Also good to hear that your vet is trusting you. That really does make everything else so much easier.

MamaMug likes this.
  3. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

That makes sense! I'm assuming ideal mid cycle would be mid dark greens, so long as we're not dipping to limes?

Djamila likes this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, as long as he's on insulin. If he's off insulin and gets a lime green, it's nothing to worry about. Healthy non-diabetic cats will naturally run in the 40's sometimes. We use 50 as the "take action" number with injected insulin as a safety measure since we can't always be sure if they are going to keep dropping.

5. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Thank you for clarifying, makes sense as well. As always I appreciate the help, as does Gato!

Djamila likes this.