Dry Food

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Barnbuddy, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnbuddy

Barnbuddy Member

I was going to post this under Health but for some reason I am unable to do so. I found a new type of dry food called Go Natural....grain free. This is not for Buddy but looking into it for my other cats. I emailed them and they said that the carb content is 8% Can I trust this??? It almost sounds too good to be true:-/

Joanne

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Well, I haven't heard of that one, but EVO dry is 8% carbs.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Here is the ingredients of the adult food:
    INGREDIENTS

De-boned turkey, potato flour, pea, potato, pea fibre, whole dried egg, tomato, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), flaxseed, natural flavor, coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), salmon, de-boned duck, apple, carrots, pumpkin, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, papaya, pineapple, grapefruit, lentil beans, broccoli, spinach, cottage cheese, alfalfa sprouts, dicalcium phosphate, sun-dried alfalfa, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid, sodium chloride, lecithin, potassium chloride, DL methionine, taurine, Vitamins: (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate(source of vitamin C), niacin, inositol, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, beta-carotene, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), Minerals: (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), dried kelp, L-lysine, chicory root extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, garlic powder, marigold extract, dried rosemary.

The GUARANTEED ANALYSIS is:

Crude Protein (min) 31%
    Crude Fat (min) 18%
    Crude Fiber (max) 3%
    Moisture (max) 10%
    Ash (max) 6.5%
    *Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min) 2.8%
    *Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.55%
    Magnesium (max) 0.09%

Based on the potato flour, peas and potato being the second, third and forth ingredients, it might not bee too low carb.

4. Barnbuddy

Barnbuddy Member

I can't get EVO here.

The ingredients kinda threw me for a loop. When I first read them I said no way is this low carb food. Then I emailed the company and they said it was 8% Something just isn't adding up here:-/

Joanne

5. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

they aren't giving you the as-fed values.. just the ingredient breakdowns, that's why it's not adding up :) To me it looks like crap on top of crap with some crap on the side, but then I'm always laughing at companies that try to trick the public by adding cottage frickin cheese, alfalfa sprouts and broccoli to a carnivore's diet. :lol:

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Joanne, just what did the email reply say? can you copy it here? What you want is the % breakdown on a dry-matter basis based on calories like is present in Janet and Binky's food charts.

7. Barnbuddy

Barnbuddy Member

Here is the email. All I asked was the carb content. Maybe someone else could email and ask for a further breakdown?? :smile:

HI Joanne

Thank-you for your enquiry! Both of our GO! Grain Free dry foods have the same carb content at 8%. I hope this helps.

Thank-you

Michele Dixon

1-866-864-6112 ext # 105

www.petcurean.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.