Eating less, not losing weight

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by ponteaggere, Jul 18, 2022.

1. ponteaggere

ponteaggere New Member

Hi everyone. New to this forum.

My cat got diagnosed with diabetes last summer after having fatty liver, pancreatitis and a liver infection.
    He is on ProZinc now and have been stable for a couple of months. He is eating Acana 6 fish and wet food and he had 2,5 units twice a day.
    Last week, I noticed him getting more tired, not eating all of his dry food, but all of his wet food. One reading went down to 3,6 mmol/L (65mg/DL) , and I panicked because he wouldn't eat as much. Lowered the dose to 2 units, and the readings went up again.

He is alert, is drinking and pooping as he should, but seems to have developed an aversion to his dry food. I know that wet food is optimal, but he has always been a dry food junkie, so this trend is worrying me.

He has gained weight.

Now, can this be a jealousy/inconsistency thing? He is a pretty jealous guy, and my boyfriend have been visiting more frequently. He gets a special treat wet food can every time he visits. Can it be because of that?

His readings before he gets a shot is approximately 8,7mmol/L (157mg/DL), sometimes a little higher.
    His fructose level was 220 when we checked a couple of weeks back. Six months before that is was 260.

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

First of all, I would take advantage of the fact that he is not liking the dry food and just eliminate it altogether. How many carbs are in the dry food? If I did want to include dry food in my cat’s diet, I would switch to Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein which is one of the very few dry foods that are low carb.

How long ago did he last have bloodwork done - I mean full bloodwork including a CBC (complete blood count) and a chemistry panel which will give a good indication of any problems. You could share that here.

Any other behavior changes you have noticed?

How often are you testing blood glucose levels? Do you have a spreadsheet? If not, we can help you get one set up. How old is your kitty? Some data on his preshot numbers as well as mid-cycle test numbers would be helpful. What is his typical nadir and when does it usually occur?

3. ponteaggere

ponteaggere New Member

Thanks for your response!

We had a blood work done three weeks ago, and everything looks normal. I didn't get any papers on it, but liver, gallbladder and infection looked completely normal. His fructosamine has lowered from 262 to 242 and now 220.

19% carbs in axana 6 fish, but they are mainly low in GI.
    He eats when hand fed.
    My bf have been visiting more frequently and when he does Bowie gets a gourmet mousse so I think that maybe he is just picky because of that?

He gets insuline at 7am/pm. I eon't have permission to add files, going to upload them and post a link.

4. ponteaggere

ponteaggere New Member

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Is he an only child? We have five and a dog and there's a lot of bickering over who's the alpha, who's getting attention, who's in my basket.
    That means there's a definite pecking order over who eats first. Lewis goes first and scarfs it down like every meal is his last, then half the time does a scarf and barf.
    The fun never ends. :banghead:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Beautiful cat, Bowie!

8. ponteaggere

ponteaggere New Member

The link works for me. Weird. Try in another browser maybe?

Yeah, he's an only child. Has been for two years now.
    His mood is the same, he's talkative, engages in play, and even eats. But he doesn't want dry food anymore for some reason. He approaches the bowls like he's dissatisfied that is isn't that Gourmet trash.

When he went low, I lowered his dosage from 2,5 to 2 units, then the vet said that we should stick to 2,5, and then he went to 3,6mmol/L, and I panicked and lowered it the day after. Could this mess with his appetite?

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

65 is still a safe number on a human meter; if a pet meter it's a smidge lower than we'd like. Typically the low numbers make them more hungry, not less.

Look at it the other way around - without the dry, the carbs in his diet were reduced, hence the lower number.

How often are you testing him?

10. ponteaggere

ponteaggere New Member

It depends - when he's stable, I'm testing once or twice a week, but since his behaviour change I've tested him every other hour one day, and when giving insulin, nadir and some hours apart. If you look at the link, there's a couple of day's worth of data.
    I'm using the G pet meter, if that makes any difference.

11. ponteaggere

ponteaggere New Member

He's eating normal now, and is basically himself. I moved his food machine closer to the door. He hangs outside on the fenced stairway all day and rather sit outside and watch for his 'girlfriend' than eat. One I moved it there, he started eating normally again. I guess FOMO is strong in that one.

FrostD likes this.