ECID, but surely there is another similar to Nico, the “Superball,” aka “Mr. Bouncy.”

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Emily Tuomey, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

PLEASE HELP. Nico’s body is doing my head in, and I can’t take it— I’m a logical person and his body and/or the insulin he’s on [in addition to his physiology] is making him follow absolutely ZERO pattern and defies all logical explanation. We have ruled out any and all external sources of such high highs and low lows, and I’m told Nico is anything but your typical diabetic kitty.. I guess what I’m wondering is, am I alone? Surely there’s got to be other kitties who have had similar struggles, especially in the beginning— Nico was diagnosed just before Halloween 2020. I’d be eternally grateful if others might speak to this, and give us some hope. I mean, Nico isn’t in any danger, and he’s making progress, so we are keeping on but I think my logical (somewhat controlling ;)) mind is gonna explode. I’ve been told feline diabetes is a true test of patience, but now I’m feeling like he needs to be tested every 2-3 hrs around the clock because I just can’t predict when or if he will be okay; I also can’t rely on his behavior, as he acts totally normal —aside for an increased thirst if he’s super high— all the time. His spreadsheet is linked, please take a peek. I’d love any words of encouragement, wisdom, or experience from fellow sugarbaby moms and dads.
    Please and thank you.
    Em & Nico
    upload_2021-1-15_20-2-28.png

2. Tillie and Valentino

Tillie and Valentino Member

I have nothing except empathy for this. Valentino was diagnosed around the same time but does have underlying conditions causing his dives and bounces, I think.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Tagging @JOJI and Kit for some assistance.

Kitaibelia (KIT) was a SUPER bouncy cat, like Nico is.
    Kit was switched to lantus some months ago, back in the summer of 2020.
    It took a while, but Kit did get better with the switch to lantus and switching to TR (tight regulation).
    Kit is still bouncy.
    Here is her 2021 SS. You can also look at the 2020 BG tab, when you open this SS. Will let you see some of the changes between Prozinc and lantus.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1JvH9Lxomv7bxJZlHH0wbcWkDDWPLeJ6xxvq/pubhtml#

Not all insulins work equally well for all cats.

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  4. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

hey there deb. thanks for the tag.

hi em and nico,
    as deb said, we switched kit last summer and we’ve really never looked back.

where to begin.
    a bouncing kitty is no doubt a frustration.
    as you said, ruling out some reasons as to why it might be happening is a good thing to do. so props for that one.

while we can’t be sure if it’s time on insulin in general or the choice of insulin or both, she does seem better in lantus.

as you’ve likely read, lantus is known to result in flatter cycles. while there are no claims from us about kit being a flat cat now :rolleyes: we are better able to anticipate when the bounce will break and as a result, somewhat better w our dose increase/decrease patience.

we’re pretty logic minded here as well and have been applying that tendency to do the best we can for kit. for example, a couple of days ago we saw the bounce breaking and our guess was within a few hours of reality. yay!
    and right now she is bouncing. if you want to join the fun and look at her recent weeks, try to guess along with us when she will break.
    her patten has been changing over the recent month or so, so we are adjusting our practice to the new data that change provides.

for sure she keeps us on our toes.
    feel free to ask us anything and we’ll do our best to give a helpful answer. :bighug:

^jw

Lisa and little and Deb & Wink like this.
  5. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I can relate to this... my spread sheet speaks for itself :banghead:

Emily Tuomey likes this.
  6. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

Goodness does it. I’m so afraid he’s never gonna get regulated, and (apparently) I don’t do well with letting go of control and/or not being able to rationalize what is happening between his body and the insulin— I need a reason, man.. LOL I’m going CRAZY. :blackeye:

7. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I know. It’s really hard. I’m not ready to give up getting there and still researching and experimenting like crazy. Trying little changes like where I shoot adding/ taking away meals .... I definitely feel your frustration. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
    I haven’t slept a night thru In over a year :bighug:

Tillie and Valentino likes this.