Elderly diabetic going outdoors

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MeganJeanne, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeganJeanne

MeganJeanne New Member

I am posting because I can’t seem to find any information online that could answer my question. My cat, Rudy, is 15 years old and has been on insulin for 2 and a half months now. He is doing well but has recently decided that he likes to go outside (especially when there are people over, like currently my boyfriends family is over). He has been an indoor cat for his entire life and never liked going outside. We moved to a new house 2 weeks prior to him getting put on insulin and this house finally has a fenced in yard where I could actually feel comfortable letting him out if he really wanted to go. I think he may prefer to do his business out there instead of in the litter box, (which is great!!) but I am worried about his health since temperatures can get up to about 85 degrees by the time I can let him inside in the morning. I have only been letting him go out for a couple minutes at a time to let him do his business and then bring him back inside to stay cool. Should I be worried about letting him stay outside overnight with his age and him being diabetic? (I have no issue getting him his insulin injections because he comes running as soon as it is time to eat.)

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Well, my main concern (especially since my Rocket is a very bouncy cat numbers-wise) would be that he could hypo overnight. Are you home testing? Can he get out of the yard at all, or are there hidey-holes where you might not be able to find him?

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I don't know what sort of wildlife or possible predators you have in your area, but I'd worry that a cat that's been indoor all his life is not "street smart". Just heard recently about cats in my area getting attacked by owls! Happened to a friend - whose cat is now no longer allowed out past 6PM, even if they are out with her.

And like Karen, I would worry about him going low at night and not having access to feed to keep hims safe.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm in the UK where it is the 'norm' to allow kitties outside. And all my kitty crew are indoor/outdoor cats. However, they are all kept in at night. And with diabetics it is especially important to make sure that they are safe.
    With my first diabetic I only let him out when I'd tested his blood glucose a few hours after the insulin shot, and was as confident as I could be that his blood glucose wasn't going to drop too low. If I thought there was a risk of it dropping low I'd keep him in longer. When he got older (he was diabetic for 12 years (in remission for the last year and a half)) we didn't allow him to go beyond the garden (previously he had access to the woods).
    My current diabetic girl, who's only been with us since last year, only has access to the garden under supervision.

I would never ever shut my kitties outside. They always have to be able to come indoors whenever they want to. And I would be very concerned about them staying out for long periods in extreme weather of any kind.

Because your kitty has previously been an indoor cat I do wonder 'why' he now wants to go out. Is it that he doesn't feel comfortable with people around? And if that is the case, is it possible to set up some little 'safe zones' in the house for him, where he can hide away from people and feel safe and secure? Does he like to sleep in enclosed spaces, and does he have somewhere like that?
    And regarding toileting, is his litter tray in a quiet place that is away from human traffic?

Eliz

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would not let my cats out at night. That is when accidents often happen.

6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you look looked into buying or building a catio? This way she can be protected while outside and you don't have to worry about her getting lost or attacked. Even with a fenced yard I would recommend this since most cats can climb over any fence. Some of them you can attach to the house and install a cat door so the cat can go in whenever they want.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok this hits home. I live in the low desert. My Trouble was allowed outside access, whenever he wanted (except at night). He was always a lazy type cat, so never left his backyard but when it gets into the 11-teens hot, I sought him out and brought him in. NEVER, EVER was he allowed outside at night. I do not condone any cat being left out at night . ITS DANGEROUS.
    Sorry to be so blunt but this is a big concern of mine. A catio is the ONLY way any of my cats would be allowed out at night. Even then I'd be a wreck with worry.
    jeanne

8. jt and trouble (GA)

Absolutely agree with this!

9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

My cats have access to the backyard. I enclosed the entire backward with a cat fence so they can’t jump over and get out. Minnie never would but Bobo was quite the escape artist when he was young. I got it from affordable cat fence and it’s set at a 45 degree angle so a cat would be hanging backwards if it tried to jump on it and gravity would force it back down. I have a pet door so they can go in and out all day but I keep them inside at night. Just because they can’t get out, it doesn’t mean other animals can’t get in and do. I have possums, skunks, raccoons that visit at night. I wouldn’t have peace of mind going to sleep and not knowing what they were up to. I guess I just turned my backyard into a big catio. So when I test Minnie’s +2 it’s time for everyone to get inside for the night. I second the catio suggestions and I’d worry about predators as well.

10. jt and trouble (GA)

Oh how I WISH I could do that in my yard! Sadly it would cost too much as the property is quite large. sigh We are going to enclose our patio though and make that the catio. A screened patio. Now if Leo would just get off his butt and go to working on it:rolleyes:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.