Elevated liver values and seizure

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chris and Chloe, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris and Chloe

Chris and Chloe Member

I'd love any input or suggestions about elevated ALT, ALP and AST values.

When I got home from work last night I noticed Chloe was walking funny...kind of limping. As the night went on, it seemed to get worse, although she didn't seem to be in any pain. The limping was about the same when I tested her at +5.5. I got up to test her at +9.5, as usual. The limping was about the same as last night, but while I was watching her, I think she had a little seizure -- her head was in a funny position and she was twitching. I took her to the emergency vet, which is just about 3 minutes down the road. The physical exam didn't reveal, anything except perhaps some arthritis. The emergency vet suspects Chloe did have a small seizure. We did a full blood panel and a vet tech called me tonight to say the results were in. My vet will call me tomorrow to discuss the results. But, the vet tech did tell me Chloe had elevated liver values:

ALP = 80 (reference range is 10-70)
    ALT = 222 (reference range is 5-65, and when Chloe had bloodwork done in July, her ALT value was 67)
    AST = 80 (reference range is 26-43)

I guess this could explain her high numbers after almost a month of greens and blues. I started to give all the catties, including Chloe, lysine about a month ago. That wouldn't have anything to do with the elevalted liver values, would it?

I'd appreciate all input. I want to be prepared to talk to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks so much!

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Chris,

I have a little experience with both elevated liver enzymes and seizures, but not in the same cat. Minou, my civie, had slightly elevated liver enzymes at her last checkup. I think, in her case, the cause is/was toxins. She was eating oak leaves that blew in the door. Angus had two mild seizures just after Christmas. My vet discussed a number of possible causes.

Here is a list of possible causes of elevated liver enzymes from Cat-World.com:

•Hepatic Lipidosis (also known as Idiopathic Hepatic Lipidosis or Fatty Liver Disease). Hepatic Lipidosis is a common liver disease which is caused when a cat becomes anorexic (stops or reduces the amount of food it's eating), the body begins to use fat stores as fuel. These fat stores are sent to the liver, to be broken down to supply nutrients. Unfortunately, the liver sometimes becomes overwhelmed & is unable to process this fat as quickly as necessary, leading to a build up of fat in the liver, which interferes with normal liver function.

•Cholangitis/cholangiohepatitis complex: This is a number of related inflammatory & or infectious disorders of the liver and/or the biliary tract. Cholangitis relates to infection or inflammation of the bile duct & cholangiohepatitis is inflammation of the biliary system & by extension the liver. Causes of infection may often include FIP, Pancreatitis, IBD, bacterial infection, parasitic infection (including toxoplasmosis).

•Damage by toxins (Toxic Hepatopathy): This is caused by exposure to drugs, toxins or lack of blood to the liver.

•Cancer: There are many different types of tumour which affect the liver. Primary liver cancer (liver beginning in the liver) is uncommon in cats. Most cancers of the liver originate from some other site & spread to the liver.

•Portosystemic shunt (also known as liver shunt): Portosystemic shunts are abnormal communications between the portal & systemic venous system which allows intestinal blood to be delivered to the systemic circulation prior to hepatic detoxification. A shunt means that blood bypasses the liver, resulting in blood not being detoxified by the liver & a rise in toxins. Portosystemic shunts may be congenital or acquired, most shunts in cats are congenital & cats demonstrate clinical signs within 12 months of age.

Here is what I remember of the possible causes for seizures:
    epilepsy
    toxins
    head trauma
    FIV/FeLV
    FIP/Toxoplasmosis
    rabies
    cerebral ischemic encephalopathy (mini-stroke)
    brain tumor or lesion
    clot

I notice that toxins appear on both lists. Is it possible Chloe ate something she shouldn't have? Is it possible your lysine is contaminated? For elevated liver values, you might want to ask your vet about milk thistle and/or SAM-e. Denamarin is an OTC drug for dogs and cats that contains both. I used it for Minou on the advice of Jess & Earl. Minou is due for a recheck on bloodwork next month, so I don't know yet if/how well it worked.

Karen

3. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

we suspect cholangiohepatitis with our cleo. her ALT was significantly over 500.
    after i added liver support her last reading was around 124 after about 2 months. [denamarin for small dogs, 1/2 tablet BID, weekly B12 and B complex injections.] prior to that it kept climbing.

no seizures, tho. i hope you find the root cause and chloe is back to great health soon.

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

No advice just lots and lots of healing vines (((Chloe)))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.