eliseandpony need help on health.

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Anonymous, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

darn it wish i could link but don't know how. i don't know if she's newbie or not by acro newly diagnosed and very scared.

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Lori - to link you just copy/paste the URL.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

but that usually just copies and pastes and looks like i wrote it, not the way it comes out when other peeps do it, they have it come out seperate, in blue box. oh well. looks like it has been found.
    thanks

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

try it again now and select preview instead of submit.
    You should see the blue link.

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of an acro that is being successfully treated with Vetsulin?
    I would think the wise choice would be to switch to Lantus or Lev now because acro is for life and Vetsulin is not going to be around for long.

7. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

It's interesting that you should ask that question Gayle. Actually Carolynn (& Fletcher) and I had talked about this a long time ago. You CAN do a sliding scale with Vetsulin and it will work quite well. I've not done it with an acrocat but I did it with our new guy Boris. And it's been done on another website too. But you really have to know how it works in your cat and be able to test often early on - especially with that Vetsulin - just because it can have such a steep drop in those first few hours. And it requires frequent dosing - every 6-8 hours to keep basically to keep sugars in control - more or less. But then that's keeping things in tight regulation. It's more or less what we did with the old PZI.

All of you using Lantus/Levemir can tell me different but it seems most of your kitties run higher than those of ours on PZI did. We tended to keep our cats <250 most of the day by dosing frequently and with added R. I know with Merlin I had him in the 80's at times to mid 100's. But then again the insulins are different

I did write to Elise over on health

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks Patti,
    Vetsulin/Caninsulin sound like they are a very time and labor intense choice of treatment; there is no way I could do the 6-8hrs for shots because I work. I suppose if you are home all the time, you could make it work, but I still don't know how well a complex sliding scale for acro would mix with any needed R and the fluctuation of insulin needs for acros.

I think I'll just stick to my 12/12 Lev setup for my two. It's much simpler and is working well. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.