Elmo 12/27... headed for new vet visit

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Beth 73, Dec 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Here is Elmo's day( haven't had time to post SS...will do so after feed)...
    AMPS. 173
    +1.5. 134
    +2.5. 115
    +3.5. 143
    +4.5. 140
    PMPS. 202
    Not sure what to dose in 45 minutes....don't like the 202
    @Kris & Teasel @MrWorfMen's Mom @Critter Mom

2. Beth 73

Also could you explain to me why these PMPS keep inching up ??? Not making sense to me ...:(

3. Beth 73

Another also....I think he may have dental problems...I flamed gums in back as best as I can see...going to vet on Tuesday so will get that checked....how does possible infection/ dental/ antibiotics affect diabetes???

4. Beth 73

Not " I flamed"...i checked his gums as best I could...

5. Beth 73

Inflamed gums possible...still grooming still eating

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Beth, I wouldn't worry too much about the 202.....not that high and technically could be roughly the same as the 193 last night. Remember there is meter variance of 20% allowed. Elmo got a nice drop today to 115 but he didn't seem to hold it as well rising a bit earlier than usual. Dental issues (inflammation, infection) can raise BG so if you see inflammation, definitely get the vet to take a peak. Dose wise, what are you thinking?

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Dental problems can effect numbers, but really the 202 isn't much different. Like I said in the other thread, id do the 0.25 without losing the drop.

8. Beth 73

Hi Linda( aka Wonder Woman)....when I see high numbers my knee jerk is to raise dose...but if 194 last night is basically same as 292 tonight would .25 minus one drop work???

9. Beth 73

Thanks Janet...we unfortunately are also dealing with hyperthyroid med changes and Elmo metabolizes vetsulin very quickly( possibly cos of hyperthyroid ??) My former vet has referred me to more specialized vet I will see Tuesday. When we have raised doses before all it does is slam him down and bounce him up.

10. Beth 73

Sorry Linda...replied to you on above new post....

11. Beth 73

I'm thinking I don't know.....if 194 and 202 aren't that much different then should I stick with .25 minus small drop ???

12. Beth 73

How do antibiotics/ teeth cleaning affect diabetic cats ??? I know not to let them give the covenant shot .

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wait is it 202 or 292? Original post said 202

14. Beth 73

202 tonight PMPS....sorry about previous post

15. Beth 73

202 NOT 292....have people talking in my ear....me and multi tasking are not friends

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Beth my inclination is not to fool with Mother Nature on a night cycle and go with what you know at least as much as we can ever know our sugar kids!;) I like the dose you chose. Dentals if there is a problem usually have a lowering effect on BG. Antibiotics don't make any difference unless some fool vet gives you a suspension with sugar in it :eek:. The drug you want to avoid is Convenia. Mine have had it and were fine but it can have some seriously nasty effects in some cats so I have a note on my kids files now that it's never to be used without my specific approval. It is supposed to be for skin ailments and now vets are using it for EVERYTHING! I think it's a convenience thing for the pet owner which is fine but often they use it for UTI too and end up just making the UTI harder to get rid of.
    Got to go rescue my Cornish Hen from the oven. YUM! Will check back shortly.

17. Beth 73

:bighug:

18. Beth 73

Will update SS after we shoot .....25 minus small drop is the winner :cool:

19. Beth 73

Haha...covenant shot!?!....meant covenia

20. Beth 73

So, infection now would be lowering BGs?? Light sedation would do what to BGs?? I know if he needs dental, he needs dental but want to understand how possible infraction now, possible dental with mild sedation and possible antibiotics after do/do not affect BGs.....just what u need, Linda, after ur all nighter with Mittens:cat:

21. Beth 73

Infraction???? Infection !!!!! I rested too much today....my brain is mushy:confused:

22. Beth 73

Ha! Got something to eat( think I may have blood sugar problems;).)......reread above and am I right that you r saying an infection/ inflammation would cause BGs to rise ......that antibiotics have no effect on BGs( just make sure has no sugar...mercy, must we always do the vets job for them?!?!)....and I know Covenia is a no no...have to make a big point of that and have it written on front of his records.....we were at the vet frequently in last 5 months and I would always ask about his heart and his teeth......they were so concentrated on the diabetes they would tell me teeth and heart were fine...will be glad to go to different vet on Tuesday....

23. Beth 73

Just now...+1.5...102. 100 point drop

24. Beth 73

25. Beth 73

PMPS. 202
    +1.5. 102
    +2.5. 119

26. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

How did you make out last night, Beth? SS looks good.

27. Beth 73

Good morning, Kris..thanks for checking on us:). Was not real glad for the 202 but I think we r dealing with some dental issues as described above. Going to leave him be and not steer today(as I did last night) unless BGs fall too low. Hope all is well up North..we r still in the uncharacteristic 60s so I am bummed and waiting on our portion of snow :)

28. Beth 73

Also is there an antibiotic u would recommend if he needs one that is least stomach upsetting. I am givin 1t aloe an hour after thy Rx and don't want antibiotic to pile on... I can see that is one good point of Covenia but I still prefer to stay away from it. Thots on antibiotics so I can be armed tomorrow when go to vet would be great.

29. Kris & Teasel

I only have experience with Clavaseptin (Clavamox) that I've given teasel for UTI. It never put him off his food but it did make him a bit lethargic.

30. Beth 73

Thanks, Kris. Lancet question .....which FS did u get ? Remember u saying u liked them better than AT lancets and that recommendation is good enuf for me :)

31. Kris & Teasel

I just bought the lancets that go with the Freestyle Lite meter.

32. Kris & Teasel

How's Elmo, Beth?

33. Beth 73

Was getting ready to post new thread....he is holding steady ...AMPS...182...+1.5 119. Big news is we r headed to new vet (about 45 minutes away) in an hour. If there is anything u can think that I could ask please feel free to share. Be believing Elmo is at peace, rides easily and is calm at exam. My main focus is on the effect of the increased thy Rx on his numbers, do they use Lantus as well as a check of teeth/ gums to rule out infection/inflammation . Just very curious that last week within 24 hours of upping,skipping then lowering his thy dose that his BG have not returned to downward trend we were seeing prior. Thank u so very much, Kris, for checking on Elmo...I have been watching the heroics on the main board of you all, Mittens, Dan and Heather....our little situation is nothing compared to what you all and they have been going thru. Will post as soon as we get home early afternoon with believing for good, helpful Elmo report :):bighug::cat::bighug:

34. Beth 73

35. Kris & Teasel

Yes, let us know how the vet visit goes. Glad the Buddha Kitteh, as Mogs calls him, is doing well. It's been a long and stressful time with Mittens and her parents.

36. Beth 73

Beyond the realm of imagination. If not for all of you ......won't even go there ...Dan and Heather r warriors for Mittens ...keeping them in my thots and prayers as well as the Kitty Cavalry ....

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.