Elmo just threw up before shot time ?????

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Beth 73, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Elmo had a 176 AMPS.....ate well but then threw up...have to have food onboard to give vetsulin...what do I do ? Wait how long to try feeding ???

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Does Elmo appear sick or was it more of a "scarf and barf" ?

3. Beth 73

Seems fine....had hypo yesterday but is normal this morning

4. Tuxedo Mom

If Elmo does not appear to be feeling sick then you can retry feeding again, maybe add some water to make it hard to scarf the food down too quickly

5. Tuxedo Mom

Yesterday's hypo was not in dangerous numbers, more of a feed a bit of food and watch range, so it shouldn't be causing eating problems today. The numbers are back in range with Elmo's usual readings.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Whew! I'm glad others chimed in here, Beth. :nailbiting:

7. Beth 73

I love Canadians!!!! Just say in' :bighug:

Kris & Teasel and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  8. Beth 73

@Kris & Teasel ....update : +2 was 73.... gave 1 teaspoon low carb snack to steer up....monitoring BG every 2 hours unless instructed otherwise ...

9. Kris & Teasel

Good call! Keep monitoring because: a) it's good data; b) it'll make you feel better. :)
    Elmos might need a skinny 0.5 u tonight and then you might want those U100 syringes I've been "nagging" you about. ;)

10. Beth 73

:):):).....ordering today :)....can't imagine my vet when they get call from ADW asking if I can get U 100s... I keep them informed from time to time...they can seem skeptical but usually do what I ask

11. Kris & Teasel

Oops! I forgot that you need a prescription for these in some states - not so for us up here in the Cold White North. Good for you taking control and good for your vet clinic not being too hard to convince.

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Beth,

With BG getting that low at +2 I'd suggest you reduce the dose below 0.5IU Vetsulin. Also be sure to get a before bed test every night (a lot of cats run lower at night so a dose that might be OK on the daytime cycle might be too low on the PM cycle).

Mogs

13. Beth 73

14. Beth 73

:banghead:Hmm, messed up that reply...forgive my techy awkwardness

15. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Ok just read yesterday's happenings. You handled the hypo like a pro. So the fat 0.5 is too much but regular 0.5 seems just right. With time that will probably have to be reduced add well. :).

I would say if he barfs and doesn't have food on board to give a reduced amount... (Unless he eats more). .25 would be fine in a situation like that. Even if the number is slightly higher for a day... At this point Elmo is almost in normal numbers on his own so I wouldn't worry about slightly higher naidar for a day.

16. Beth 73

Sorry for scattered posts .... will concentrate on being more concise ....so stay with 0.5 regardless the PMPS ? +8 was 158.... did CC ever throw up AFTER insulin given ? What is protocol then? This morning was scary cos I thot what do u do if u give insulin, they throw up then they can't hold food down?? I'm believing we never experience that !

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Beth, I think you are going to have to play it shot by shot right now. Elmo is getting some really great numbers :D but with that major drop this morning at +2(which may have been influenced by the vomiting) I'd be careful shooting even the "normal" 0.5u at any pre-shot reading under 190 or even 200 unless you can test up to at least 4 hours post shot to monitor. That 73 today and the AT warning number of 68 are not far apart and with meter variance could technically be considered the same. I'd suggest if there is any question about dosing based on pre-shot readings, post for some help or in a pinch, take the dose down to 0.25u. Better to run high for a cycle than too low.

18. Beth 73

Just took PMPS....was 166...slowly going to feed so no more vomiting

19. Beth 73

Linda, if I need to post where do I do that ? Here or main forum?

20. Beth 73

And yes, I will be able to test at +2,4 and 6....whatever he needs

21. Beth 73

Ok , just took PMPS and it was 167.... he is eating now....

22. Beth 73

23. Beth 73

In first half hour has eaten 1/4 can....not wanting to push increased amount cos of morning vomit....if haven't heard I will give him a 0.25 and encourage slowly more food ....may hand / syringe feed to get full 1/2 can in him

24. Beth 73

@Kris & Teasel .....hey , Kris, saw u were online...could u read above from Janet and Linda and weigh in before I give Elmo's PM shot

25. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'd go with 0.25u tonight and get a +3 if you can to see where that takes him. Sorry for delay, Was off dealing with my Menace.

26. Beth 73

Thank you, thank you, thank you Linda .....I know I keep blubbering ( literally) about the precious kitty people on this board but it seriously makes me weep with gratitude and calms my heart to know u all r not just super knowledgeable but unbelievably caring .....no words can express

27. MrWorfMen's Mom

Beth, Awe! Bless your heart! We virtually adopt each other kitties around here.

I tend to be a little conservative when dealing with kitties at night and especially when on faster acting insulins like Vetsulin. Once you get the 100u syringes, you'll be able to finesse doses much better. I personally wouldn't aim for readings at the warning level of 68. I'd probably stick with 80-90 or so on a pet meter as the lowest reading I'd want to be aiming for especially at night.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  28. Beth 73

One last question, well 2 last questions;).....when should I take BGs tonight and what numbers should I be watching for ???

29. MrWorfMen's Mom

Beth, I'd take a reading at +3 and see where Elmo is at. I think with the reduced dose, +3 should be early enough as I expect his drop will be less dramatic. If he is dropping fast (below 90), give him a little low carb food to level him off and get him surfing instead of dropping. I'll check in again later and see what's up with you and Elmo.

30. Beth 73

You are the best , Linda :bighug:.... by the way, u mentioned Menace ...how is she doing ? Her name is awesome and from her picture it fits perfectly :)

31. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh so you can see that devilish gleam in her eye can you? She is quite the character! Love her to bits!

Menace is a "menace" in more ways than just her behaviour! She is a rare high dose kitty with IAA (Insulin Auto Antibodies) who keeps her Momma on her toes! Little did I know how well that name would suit her when we finally settled on it when she was about 12 -14 weeks old! She is doing just fine right now antijinx-emoticon.png and we have had several dose reductions lately so Momma is a little sleep deprived but my furkid is in good shape!

32. Kris & Teasel

Sorry, Beth! I'm just seeing this now. I was online very briefly earlier but stepped away from my computer after that. I see you've had dosing advice from the other excellent folks on here.

33. Beth 73

No biggie...you've been so great today that a break was definitely in order:) Got on ADW to order u100(aren't u proud ?!?!;)) and all the choices kinda confused and intimidated me. So easy to just take what the vet gives so am needing ur advice as to which ulticare u 100 to order.Thank U in advance:D

34. Beth 73

Just have had u both on my heart lately and am glad to hear she is doing better.You are amazing :bighug::bighug::bighug:

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  35. Beth 73

Gave Elmo .25 PM ...at +3 he is 167

36. Beth 73

Actually at +3.5

37. Beth 73

FYI....at +3.5 Elmo is at 167 ....PMPS was 166

38. MrWorfMen's Mom

So sorry Beth. I dozed off on the sofa and just woke up. I expected Elmo to run a little higher tonight but certainly didn't think he'd be THAT flat. Very interesting indeed. Looks like the vomiting yesterday morning may have contributed more to that 73 than I expected and my conservative approach was a little too conservative but better too high than too low. It will be interesting to see what Elmo's AMPS is. :blackeye:

39. Beth 73

I dozed off on couch too :(.....getting ready to do one more BG , just for fun o_O

40. MrWorfMen's Mom

Grabbing a reading on Menace now too so I can get back to sleep with no worries. :)

41. Beth 73

BG at + 6 ...166... now we need to go try sleeping in a bed !!! Good nights rest to u and urs !!

42. MrWorfMen's Mom

Elmos seems to be surfing. Looks like we both can get some worry free sleep as Menace is having an upside down cycle again and is higher now than at pre-shot.:rolleyes:

43. Kris & Teasel

Hi, Beth,
    Went to bed before I saw this last night. The U100s to get have 3/10 ml/cc capacity with half unit markings . Mine are 29 gauge 1/2" needles but some people like thinner 30 or 31 gauge and shorter 1/4" (?) needles. Ulticare is one brand I've used before but I've had others as well. I don't have a particular preference as long as they have the specs I just gave you.

I see that Elmo surfed safely the rest of the day yesterday. :)

44. Beth 73

Good morning and thank u, Kris ! Yep he surfed...had AMPS of 184...gave 0.5 so we shall see ..this is day 3 post hypo

45. MrWorfMen's Mom

Beth, the surfing last night and not much higher AMPS today is a good sign. Suggests to me that Elmo may be doing some of his own regulating. Normal range according to IDEXX lab values (what pet meter is compared to) would be 72 to 175 so Elmo is in good shape. I'd keep a close eye on him in case his system clicks into a higher gear in the near future. FINGERS CROSSED!

46. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug:....hope u got a restful night's sleep :)

47. MrWorfMen's Mom

I did, thank you. I hope you did too. :) My normal now seems to be sleeping in shorter cycles anyway. Not sure if it's age catching up with me or just lots of practice thanks to my furkid!:woot:

48. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I suppose if that happened where they threw up after a shot and would eat or hold food down I would either syringe gravy or rub honey on her gums if her numbers dropped too low.

49. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Beth, will make this quick. Don't know anything about vetsulin but you picked a lucky name. I've had cats for almost 40 years and my Elmo was the healthiest and smartest cat I've ever had and was a real "Daddy's boy". I'll try and pass some of that good luck onto you and Elmo.

50. Beth 73

Thank you , thank you :bighug:......you gave my evening a big smile :)

51. Kris & Teasel

Elmo's numbers look good. :)

52. Beth 73

Thanks for checking up on us:bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.