Emergency We gave our cat a double dose of insulin

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sudio3, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

We didn't communicate and both gave him his shot so he got 4 units instead of 2. We gave him regular (non diabetic) treats and regular (non diabetic) dry cat food and also put a little honey on his gums. We are at the vets now. It’s been about an hour and he seems fine. Has this happened to anyone else before?

Thank you!
    Marissa

2. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Sending some love and light to y'all. ❤ I've not been in this pickle yet. Usually I do the shots unless I'm not home. I'm glad you're at the vet and recognized what happened. Please keep us posted!

Sudio3 likes this.
  3. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thank you!! I will keep posted!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

How's he doing

Sudio3 likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

How scary! I'm so glad you went right to the vet. How is he?

Sudio3 likes this.
  6. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thanks all. So I went to emergency vet and they just checked his sugar which was 250 an hour after the double dose then they just did a physical and said to check him 4 hours after the dose and then maybe once more. They said the lowest it would go is between 4 & 6 hours after the shot. So I gave him more treats (non diabetic) when I got home and non diabetic cat food then set an alarm at 3:00am (4 hours after) and his sugar was 227. Then at 5:00am he seemed totally fine so didn’t test him. I will test him again right before his normal dose at 9:00am. The doctor said to skip his morning dose this morning. He seemed totally fine the whole time so I’m guessing the treats and cat food worked to keep it up? Thank you! ​

MamaMug likes this.
  7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

How scary! I think the added carbs, and also that his current dose doesn't seem like it's really enough insulin for him. Do keep an eye on him today - sometimes the cycles after an overdose can be pretty dramatic too, so you'll want to get some mid-cycle tests today and tonight if at all possible.

Sudio3 likes this.
  8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Sorry....just realized the data on the spreadsheet isn't current - so ignore the comment about the current dose.

9. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok thank you I will do that! So his sugar this morning is 346 so I was thinking of giving him his regular 2 units this morning even though the vet last night said to skip it. It must be all the sugary food we gave him. I called our vet and they said to give him half the dose and I called the emergency hospital that we went to last night and they said to give the full dose. Do you have any thoughts regarding dosing this morning? Thank you! Also I will update his sheet now!