Emma struggling to push out poop.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue & Emma, Feb 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

For the past week maybe 2, I found 1 inch pieces of poop on the carpet. Emma has alot of fur around her behind and I thought poop was getting caught there and dropping off. Nope. I have watched her for the last couple of days and she is having trouble pushing the poop out and "pinching" it off.

Here's what I see. She goes to the litter box spreads her back legs apart just as far as she can go, like really spread out. I see her back muscles flex, I see her pushing. She can get the initial poop out but the last 3 pieces take alot of work. She will exit the box, walk around the house and go back to the box.
    I don't think her poop is that hard. I'm able to squish it in my fingers like a tootsie roll, not too smooth but not too hard I guess. It seems to be the same consistency, size, length as a tootsie roll. My other cat's poop is softer than hers but not alot.

Emma had a bought 3 weeks ago with a terribly bad UTI. She had a bladder draw last week and there is no bacteria in there so that part is good. At that time she had gabapentin. I saw her more relaxed and climbing the stairs with it so I asked my vet if she could have it but it seemed to sedate her too much, so I backed off. I can't honestly tell if this has anything to do with what's going on now. She has been off the gaba for about a week. Should I put her back on? Does gaba make this worse?

I'm really lost guys. I'm wondering if I need to add some fiber stuff to her food?? She eats wet FF with 6 pieces of Wysong kibble. She drinks well. Her BG numbers are just fine. Is this a neuropathy problem?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Gabapentin can cause either diarrhea or constipation.
    https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a694007.html
    Yes, I would try an anti diarrhea med. You can try a bulking med like pure canned pumpkin (not pie filling) or Psyllium Husks or Miralx (or its generic which is less expensive).

3. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Thank you Larry.

4. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

My Houdini had problems with constipation and I used Miralax. Oderless and tasteless. Worked like a charm.

5. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Gail could you tell me which Miralax to buy? Do you put in 1/2 teaspoon once a day? Also does my description of the pushing sound like constipation?

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I wouod get a generic Miralax, a lot less expensive than real Miralax. You want one that is polyethylene glycol 3350. I use Smooth LAX which is Walgreens' brand of Miralax. Other chains will have their own name. Regaring dose, I wouod start with 1/4 tsp twice daily or equally mixed if you feed more than twice a day.

7. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Thank you so much Larry. I just brought some Smooth LAX home from Walgreens. I'll put a 1/4 tsp in Emma's food tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.