Ever been harassed for a syringe purchase?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AZJenks, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

I went into the local Wal-Mart to restock strips and syringes today like I do every month when they all of a sudden refused to sell me any. The pharmacist copped an attitude with me and tried to cross-examine me with a lot of really probing questions, like what did I need them for, what insulin was being used, how much, who wrote the prescription, where did I pick it up, etc. Essentially, through her questioning and comments (like "You know there's a big problem out there"), she was insinuating that I was a drug user, which was as offensive as it was infuriating. They tried to insist that there was a store policy of not selling syringes without verifying a prescription, but they were left without an answer when I asked why I hadn't heard of such a policy despite purchasing them at this very store for the last 18 months without so much as a hesitation from anyone working there.

When I demanded a store manager, conveyed my history of hassle-free purchases, made it clear that I was well-aware that there is no law in my state requiring anything to purchase syringes, and threatened to take my entire business elsewhere, the pharmacist begrudgingly sold me a box, but not after an audible scoff.

Has anyone else ever experienced this sort of resistance? I was shocked.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah...every pharmacist is different (EPID?) and some can be real [​IMG]

3. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

No, but here in CA there is a law that a prescription is required if you want to purchase an entire box of syringes. They'll sell you a bag of 10 without one, but not a box. However, my closest Walmart sells them to me anyway (I have a script on file, but they don't ask).

4. AZJenks

5. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Have you been having a few late nights so that you looked the part ;)

I need a prescription for the syringes to buy them here - and they still look at me like they think I'm a druggie sometimes and can get dubious about a vet prescription. So ridiculous, if I was a druggie what's wrong with giving me clean needles and helping prevent the spread of aids and hepatitis anyway???

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. AZJenks

That was my argument exactly @Vyktors Mum. If I was a junkie, I'm going to shoot up anyway whether its with your needles or something I find in the trash. I would expect a health care professional to be in favor of making sure I'd have the means to avoid the risk of communicable diseases.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you were an addict, I doubt you'd want an insulin syringe. The gauge of the needle is a little thin for getting into a vein.

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I ran into that with my local CVS pharmacy - they would sell me a bag of 10 but not a box of 100 without seeing a prescription. I questioned further and discovered that it was left up to each individual pharmacy to decide their policy. Heavy drug areas are much stricter on selling in quantities. In my case, I happened to have KT's old prescription in my purse but if I hadn't, I don't think they were going to relent.

9. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

Nope, I get her syringes at Costco, where I've purchased all my own Rx's for several years. I also get Lantus (no Rx needed), test strips, and lancets there, and they've opened a file for Lulu, separate from mine.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  10. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe he was just having a really bad day...

11. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

I buy 2 boxes at a time at my (NC) Walmart - been doing it for 3.5 yrs. Never been asked for a script, though it's often the same pharmacist filling it, and at one point I'd bought cases of FF and she checked me out ... I explained that most of my money spent was for purchases for my cat. She remembers me (guess it was a unique enough story for her to remember!)... and even once suggested I buy an OTC insulin because it's cheaper. I explained that Lev works best for high-dose kitties like Grayson was. No one else has ever questioned it. I def like their prices - I tried to pick up a box at Target and it was going to be about $25 instead of $12.88. Worth my time to make an extra stop at wallyworld! When G was high-dosing, budget was really tight, so I would've gotten a script for them to keep if it had been an issue. Unfortunately, not all service providers offer good customer service. Not sure if any of the on-line suppliers would be comparable cost-wise... especially after you pay shipping & handling. Good luck!

12. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

wow, how annoying. and kinda rude, too. I always bought online through American Diabetes Wholesale - I probably had to send them a prescription in the first place (although I don't remember doing so) but Oregon doesn't require a prescription for syringes. Too bad they were hassling you.

Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  13. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We used American Diabetes Wholesale for syringes, strips and meters for three years. It was easy and so nice to have things delivered to our house. They kept a prescription on file for us, we renewed it annually.

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't need a prescription here in Sydney to buy syringes. Serryn lives in a different state ......and I was surprised to read she needed a script for syringes.

15. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I used to buy my syringes at Wal-Mart until they gave me a hassle about buying syringes instead of using the needles that come with a pen. I now order through American Diabetes Wholesale. I don't remember ever giving them a prescription WV doesn't require one.

16. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Insulin syringes are what they do use and some states that prefer to make clean needles available to prevent the spread of HIV do not require an Rx for them.

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I got that once from a Columbus, OH Walgreens and they finally relented to give me a bag of 10 syringes. I've never had a problem with WalMart.

18. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

In the 9 years we needed them... never had a problem buying ReliOn syringes from WalMart. I'd buy two or three 100 count boxes at a time.
    No script necessary.

19. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

The last time I ordered syringes from ADW they sent me an email that they needed a Rx. Turns out they ran out of Terumos anyway, so I didn't bother. But apparently ADW does require it now, I never needed one for the last 5 years!

BTW just tried some Excel syringes from California Vet Supply. No half unit markings, but if you use calipers that doesn't matter. Bubbles are easy to get rid of and pretty easy to align the calipers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.