Excited but cautious..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becca84, Dec 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Hey all!

Candi seems to be moving in the right direction but I'm trying to be extremely cautious. She did her first testing tonight at 112. I plan on doing a curve this weekend and I am trying to stick to one consecutive dose to do so. I've tried to test during the day but even when I'm off I have other obligations. I know I will never know but am wondering if this is a false positive? I am a skeptical person by nature. I am enjoying the blues that she has been surfing, however still scared. Is it too soon for this to be happening? Am I doing the right things for her? I've changed my life and hers a whole 180 degrees since her DX in September. I love her to death. I honestly have become her servant and I wouldn't have it any other way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

I do want to add even when she was sick back in november with the antibiotic she was on she was never this low. Her appetite is okay. I think she is getting tired of certain flavors of fancy feast.:banghead: I've tried weruva but I didn't buy pate (cuz it did not say if it was or not on the can) so that was a no go. I am going to try tiki cat next, since its low to no carb. A lot of times she eats well and others she walks away half way thru a half of a 3oz can. My minimum in my head is she has to eat at least a half the can before she can get insulin. I have had to coax her a lot to eat that half but I remember everyone saying here she should at least get some insulin(I give 0.25units) if she is going to eat. I've mentioned my vet saying to me to stick with 1 unit and she shouldn't go hypos with that. However she also never mentioned home testing until I learned about this site. So needless to say I'm having to making decisions on my own. I am very thankful for this site!

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Look at those pretty blues and greens!

Aren't they wonderful??

Becca84 likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Doubly wonderful! Alphatrak numbers. :)

Becca, you're doing a fab job with Candi. They're really good numbers for a cat on Vetsulin.

Tip: Keep a closer eye on her nadirs now - she's not much above the 68 mark. If she does dip down you could try reducing the dose to 0.1IU.

Mogs

4. Becca84

Becca84 Member

0.1u? I wouldnt know how to dose that but I would try. She just tested 71! I immediately fed her HC wet. How would I dose that with this syringe? 20201229_223911.jpg

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Hi Becca,

It's 04:30 in the UK and I'm about to drop so I'm going to tag @JanetNJ and @Deb & Wink to ask whether one of them could help you with microdose measurement/syringe options.

Good catch on the 71.

Mogs

Deb & Wink and Becca84 like this.
  6. Becca84

Becca84 Member

thank you!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

8. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Becca, I'm not familar with Vetsulin. Do you use U-40 or U-100 syringes? We use U-100 syringes with Lantus and Levemir and here's a sticky which has info at the end on fine dosing.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...info-proper-handling-drawing-fine-dosing.151/

Did you get another test an hour after that 71? How much HC did you feed Candi?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Becca84

Becca84 Member

about half a can? she just really licked the gravy out...but I tested at 11:30p aka and she tested at 89.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  10. Becca84

Becca84 Member

by the way her mood and spirit has been pretty great....its been awhile since shes been this playful and outgoing!
    20201227_145727.jpg

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

• 0.1U = fat zero barely touching the line
    • 0.10 units underneath the zero line the first long line on the syringe you would
    • place your syringe underneath it barely touching the line.
    Aww what a cute pic

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

[​IMG]
    Are you using the U-40 syringes with half unit markings
    It makes measuring a lot easier :cat:

Deb & Wink and Critter Mom like this.
  13. Bandit's Mom

@Chris & China (GA) should Becca reduce the dose? Candi didn't fall below 71, but after eating half a can of HC, she didn't shoot to the moon either. Went from 71 to 89.
    I'm not familiar with Vetsulin

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Bandit's Mom

@Elizabeth and Bertie I see you're online :)
    Are you familiar with Vetsulin? Could you help with Candi's dosing?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  15. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Tested this morning she tested @ 187. So not too bad!

Deb & Wink and Critter Mom like this.
  16. Becca84

Becca84 Member

I do not have u-40 half marking syringes. Only the ones I showed a pic of in my first reply.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  17. Bandit's Mom

18. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  19. Critter Mom

Hi Becca,

Another option for you would be to use U100 half-unit-marked syringes and a dose conversion chart. If you were to choose this option, I'd suggest posting for help when first using them. (It weirded me out a bit when I first used this technique so I welcomed input from other members to make sure I'd got the dose measurement right.)

Mogs

Deb & Wink and Becca84 like this.
  20. Diane Tyler's Mom

ADW Diabetes Storewide Promotions
    ADW5OFF
    [​IMG]
    Take an additional $5.00 off all orders of $50.00 or more!

DIA10
    [​IMG]
    10% off your next order!

Here are coupons you can use Becca

Becca84 and Critter Mom like this.
  21. Becca84

Becca84 Member

thank you! I will definitely check it out!

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

:cat: You are welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.